About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Friday, May 18, 2012

Traveling Mercies

 Let me begin this post by saying that I am utterly and completely blessed!  Last week I was awakened--several times, mind you-- by two eager daughters, bursting with excitement to give their Mother's Day gifts.  I couldn't believe it!  Although I did request--twice-- a bit more sleep before the festivities, after their 5 am and 6 am visitations.  Amazingly, all of their gifts and cards were homemade, most at home (completely on their own initiative!) and some at school (THANK YOU, lovely, thoughtful teachers!).  And THANK YOU, my sweet babies!!!

Mother's Day was particularly poignant this year, as just two days prior we were
rear-ended in an auto accident.  I was driving, and I had S. and J. in the car, along with my (almost) 5 year old nephew.  Glory to God, we were all fine!  Seriously... it could have been worse.  Baby is fine, too--YAY!!   The kids and I are seeing a great chiropractor right now, and my back/ neck are already feeling better.  The police officer on the scene gave me the "okay" to drive the van home.  However, the van was later evaluated as "totaled."  So, our trusty, dusty 2004 Chrysler T&C is no longer ours.  I'm pretty bummed... almost as bummed as I was when I had to give this baby away.  Walk with me as I waddle down memory lane....   *sigh*
Me, 7 mos. pregnant with Joe, bidding a tearful farewell to my favorite car ever.
"Biggie", our first van, just after we bought it.  We bought it at a Volkswagen Dealership... so it had a "*City Name* Volkswagen" license plate frame on it... which made me feel cool.  The closest thing I'll ever get to driving something that says "Volkswagen" on it. 


Good bye, Biggie!  Tomorrow Job and I will venture out into the world of car lots, haggling, tepid arguments and test drives..... and, with God's help, search for a new minivan.  You have NO IDEA how much I just want to point at a brand new Toyota Sienna (or a 2011, 2010, 2009) and shake a salesman's hand.  No idea.  After all, I live in my van.  I'm not proud of that fact, but it is a reality, my friend.  Alas, we are of the cheap... um... frugal? persuasion, and so we'll search for a "previously owned"--err--used van (click here for the 2005 edition of my car-buying woes).  My friend told me to ask St. Menas' intercessions, and I certainly plan to.  Holy Father St. Menas, pray to God for us!   And you, dear reader, I ask for your prayers as well!  



Again, Glory to God-- we are home, safe and together.

 On a lighter note, I did some cathartic/ escapism sewing.  Nothing too crazy or difficult, just some simple pieces to add to my maternity wardrobe.
 I took a sleeveless-blouse pattern, and sliced it just below the sleeve hole opening.  I then basically took two wide squares in a contrasting blue fabric (using two pillowcases from the thrift store!), one for the front of the dress, and one for the back, and gathered the top and sewed it to the contrasting yoke.  I didn't even have to hem it, there is a finished edge already from the opening of the pillow cases.  Above, you can see I paired it with a pink cardi and a belt. 

If you didn't catch that gibberish, just know this:  It's awesome and it's comfy!  All it needs is pockets... but then it might be too perfect, and I would seriously consider never, ever taking the dress off, and that would be unsettling. 

 Me, tired and bloated, but HAPPY on Mother's Day :)  I'm wearing another dress made from the "Darling Ranges" pattern, this time with a lengthened hem (just below the knees) and half sleeves.  I also wore it with a belt, just above the belly.



 And here I am looking klassy, far too lazy to actually strap on my shoes, which were only worn for the photo (with a stiff back from the car accident, it's probably not smart for me to wear "heels" for prolonged periods of time, let alone bend over to buckle them). 

This is a simple, 8-gored skirt with an elastic waist.  I made the pattern myself and sewed it all up in one evening.  The serger helped zip this project along, and I really like it a lot.  It has a more flattering fit, and I was able to use leftover fabric from my "Potty dance" trousers last fall. 



 
St. Stylianos-- I like him a lot.  :)


And that concludes my update for this, the 18th of May.  I hope you have a lovely, lovely weekend!   Give thanks to God, count your blessings, and always say a prayer/ make the sign of the cross before you drive anywhere!  

As always, thanks for reading! 

5 comments:

elizabeth said...

Thank God you are all okay! St. Menas is always quick to help and does not hesitate, as my friend who introduced me to him always says...

Martha said...

I get emotional about cars, too... ♥ I love how you took a pillowcase and turned it into such cute dress...the belt & cardigan really make it look complete. You're such clever person, making maternity clothes is a great idea, you get it to fit YOU and not spend lots of $$$. And I love those green clogs...where are they from? Your skirt is awfully cute, too.

Mimi said...

You look so lovely.
Thanks be to God you are all ok - I was in a car accident with The Oldest (a rollover) and a minor fender bender with my youngest.
I hope care shopping goes well - we just did it for Dh.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Glory to God that you are all safe !
the photos of you all are gorgeous!

jenny baker said...

so glad you're all okay, glory to God! hang in there mama, you're lookin' good ;)