About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Maternal May

I'll start this post by saying I have a bad relationship with maternity clothes.   For some, the urge to go on a shopping "spree" for maternity clothes surfaces only moments after that pink plus sign or those two magenta lines darken into reality.  Or maybe that was just me, nearly seven years ago, during my first pregnancy.

At first, I bought whatever was cute that had the words "maternity" labeled somewhere on the brand tag, whether it was new or 2nd hand.  I naively and wholeheartedly believed that anything sold as "Maternity" clothing guaranteed a solid fit throughout all 9 months of gestation.  The problem was, my belly outgrew most of my "maternity" clothes by month #9... if not month 8 or 7...  SO.  I figured it was my own fault for getting huge, and that certainly wouldn't happen NEXT time.  Can you see where this is going?  After three pregnancies, I can say that most maternity clothes just shrink, plain and simple.  They shrink and fade with each washing, it seems, and even more during those months/ years of storage between pregnancies.  At least in my experience!  The only thing I currently wear that I've had since 2005 is a single tank top from Motherhood Maternity (which I use as an undershirt/ camisole, because it's too short, as well!).  Maternity clothes just aren't meant to last for serial breeders like myself ;) 


This time around, I've been fairly motivated to sew my own maternity clothes.  I know-- what's the use?  Especially when I'll only wear them for a few months?  Well, I'm just tired of the high cost-- even 2nd hand!-- of maternity clothes, and the rather poor quality in which they usually made (though I've been impressed with most Gap brand items).  I did have some success rummaging around at Goodwill last week; but I don't even seek out "maternity" labels anymore.  I just look for knit tunics or bigger dresses with long hemlines and/ or empire waist styles. 

The nice thing about sewing maternity clothes is that after Baby comes/ prego weight is mostly gone, I can either a) lend the clothes out to a friend or b) take in the seams and alter it for normal wear.   

I'd like to use May as as time to complete my maternity projects, so i can have more options during the later (hot summer!) months of my pregnancy and that awkward indeterminate length of time of postpartum chubbiness. 

After May? I'm forcing myself to NOT be agoraphobic.  To go outside, focus on summer activities with the kids, attempting (once again) to garden and get a whopping head start on making Christmas gifts.  Seriously!  Because each December, I'm a giant FAILURE at making gifts for others, simply because the entire month is always more stressful/ busy than I expect.  And something tells me this year I'll have my hands full ;) 

Now, my thus-far completed spring projects!  
 S.'s Pascha dress (with lace added because I didn't have enough fabric left to make it long enough)
    V.'s Pascha dress (no lace at bottom, just longer), which is identical to my goddaughter's dress, which I also made. 


Another shot of me in February, with a newly-made Simplicity 2702


 "Darling Ranges" pattern (by Megan Nielsen), made in two different styles (pink crinkle cotton on the left, and white eyelet on the right-- that one was my Pascha dress this year).

 A fairly simple A-line, lined maternity skirt that just needs to be hemmed.  I predict it'll get lots of use over the summer!  I followed this online tutorial.  Eek, sorry it's sideways!  I'm so 2003, it's not even funny. 
                                                              (detail Simplicity 3692)


 It hits me below the knee. I wore it to church for the first time last Sunday with a wide belt (worn above the belly, empire-style) and a cardigan.  Very comfy-- I know it'll get lots of use!


 Finally, a birthday bunting!  Didn't realize how girly it was, though... I might have to make a more "boyish" one for my little guy :)  

Two of my three spring chickadees!  V. is clutching her birthday gift, a little kitty I made from the book "Sew it, Stuff it" by Rob Merrett.  Nearly every pattern in this book is absolutely adorable!  If they're all as fun and easy to sew as Mr. Kitty was, then I'll get a LOT of good use out of this book in the years to come!  V. LOVES it, and another is in the works for Birthday Girl #2!  

Goals for May:

-"Golden Birthday" dress for S.
- Stuffed Kitty for S.'s birthday
-Stuffed animal for J. (maybe a third kitty?)
- 1 baby quilt
-2 quilts (the quilt tops are done, I just need to sandwich them and bind the edges)
-Top-Secret gift (sorry, can't say anything else :D)
-2 more maternity tunics
-2 more maternity skirts
-a wrap dress
- maxi dress, if there's time

Big, fat, prego summer: here I come! 

12 comments:

Susan said...

I had Yianni is August,during one of the hottest summers on record!
My mom made all my maternity clothes. I love that you added a ruffle to S dress because it wasnt long enough...on of my moms favorite tricks. You can ask my girls..they will tell you.
Memory Eternal mom!!

Mimi said...

I was born in August, Susan, and my mother tells of sitting in the local river drinking iced tea with peppermint schnapps in it (this was before it was known to not drink alcohol when pregnant)
I love the ruffle too!

Helenrr said...

You go girl! :) Missed you (and everyone who couldn't come) - virtual hugs. Those kitties remind me of some other kitties! Remember the ones I made all three of you? I wonder if I still have the pattern somewhere...
Love and hugs and kisses,
Aunt Helen

Anonymous said...

Susan and Mimi,
Yes, any tips from you or your mom on how to survive the last trimester during August would be more than welcome! Might have to find a river and some schnapps--oops!-- I mean iced tea :D hehehe. That's great! I'm so glad you like the ruffle :)

Aunt Helen,
Yes! I remember those kitties and the sweatshirts that you made, too. I've always loved your gifts, especially the homemade ones from my youth. Was that kitty pattern one of your own? Thanks for the bag of cute fabric, btw! I really, really wish I could have been with you all this past week, too... Much love!

Xenia Kathryn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Xenia Kathryn said...

Susan and Mimi,
I'm glad you like the ruffle! Thank you :D Yes, I might have to find a river and some schnapps--opps!-- I mean iced tea to get me through August *wink*. Hehehe, I love it. Susan-- I love that your mom made your maternity clothes! Memory eternal, indeed... she sounds like a wonderful woman.

Aunt Helen,
Yes! I do remember the kitties you made for us! Your gifts-- especially your homemade ones-- are always so incredibly special. I remember your sweatshirts, too, that you decorated! And the t-shirts with the sponge paint! I wore mine forever...!
Missed you this past weekend... I so wish I could have been with everyone. Love you so much!!

Jessie said...

Good luck with the summer heat! After last year I swore I would never be pregnant again in the summer (I know I won't keep that promise). I found that Old Navy has some pretty decent maternity clothes. I still love to wear the dresses I got from them.

erin said...

found your blog through colette patterns flickr page... thinking of making a beignet skirt- i love your yellow one :) anyway, enjoyed reading through your blog- good luck with number 4! i just had my third :) - Erin

Martha said...

♥ Christ is Risen! Such a pretty Pascha girls...you did a great job sewing. I'm so impressed. That tunic you're wearing is lovely.
I just posted pictures from our parish feast day:
http://thescrumptiouslife.blogspot.com/2012/05/st-george-in-cincinnati.html

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

I love the clothes you make !

My prayers for you all :-)

Unknown said...

I know your post was from several years ago, but I'm curious how the darling ranges dress worked for you? Did it make it into your third trimester?

Unknown said...

I know your post was from several years ago, but I'm curious how the darling ranges dress worked for you? Did it make it into your third trimester?