But anyways, here I am. We've been waking up much earlier the past few months. I've been babysitting a little boy two days a week, and so I had to start waking up earlier than my usual (admittedly, 9 or 9:30 am). I got to be notorious for my sleeping in, so that most friends and family knew it was useless to call until after 10 or so. But now we're up at at'em by 8:30 at the latest, usually 8 pm, today it was 7:30. I'll take the girls to storytime at the library in a few minutes. It's nice to have everyone dressed and fed and changed with prayers said, all at a leisurely pace, before storytime and/or other errands. "Mom goal" number 110: Wake up earlier with the girls. Done! Now? One day I hope to wake up with Job and make him breakfast and fix his lunch to go. I've always admired women who do that... and it's a lofty goal, but you gotta have some aspirations, right? :)
On Monday I sat down and meal-planned for the first time in several weeks. I had fallen out of the habit sometime around Pascha (maybe busy Holy Week?). But the past few weeks had been riddled with excursions to restaurants and drive-thrus, which keeps messes from building in the kitchen, but takes us over our weekly food budget. I've discovered that no matter how much food I have in the pantry, if I don't have a game plan as to what I'll cook for dinner, I won't get it done.
So, it's Thursday and we haven't eaten out yet this week! I have meat defrosting in the fridge and beans soaking for chili, so I'm already in the process of dinner for tonight-- no turning back now. I really see now how meal-planning makes a difference for all of us; dad's happy to see dinner done or almost done when he gets home, I don't feel stressed or uninspired when it comes time for making dinner, our budget is happily intact and "eating out" once again becomes a special treat, as opposed to a frequent indulgence. It feels good to get back on the habit of planning dinner.
In closing, here's the latest in the crafting department:
A birthday present for one of V.'s buddies!
A quilted tote with nesting doll applique.


And a over-the-shoulder purse/messenger bag for V.! Daddy commissioned me to make her a special "church bag"--something she could use only for church, filled with appropriate, church-themed books, icons, an old day planner and a pen for doodling.


Here she is with her new bag! She was happy to discover this waiting for her Sunday morning, before we left for Liturgy. She liked it a lot! Now it sits on a shelf, and V. is anxious to use for church again. Our hope is it will help keep her occupied in church, and to thereby reduce our trips in and out of the sanctuary! hehehe... we'll see! :) Last Sunday it helped a little, so it's a start.
6 comments:
SO cute!
Christy and I "oohed and ahhhed" over your latest creative endeavors. Loved both the bags- and especially the proud picture of Vasi with her new bag proudly crisscrossed over her shoulders!
See you soon!
Love
marm
Xenia,
I've been a longtime reader of your blog but never commented. First let me say how much I enjoy it, second, I love the idea of the "church bag." I use one for my little girl (Josephine, is her name...so I enjoyed your photo of you with your Josephine's especially!) and it does work very well to keep her quieter. The key is not to let it be used any other time. (And using the bribe of stopping off for doughnuts on the way home helps too!) *smile*
The nesting doll purse is sweet...I might try to make some like them. Our parish has started a yearly outdoor Russian Festival (in Sept) and I'd love to sew up some to sell then.
Katie, those bags are 'joy'. I love love love your work :) It makes my heart happy.
We did the same thing (church bag) with Mike, Pat and Christina, it made all the difference.
I hear you on the meal plans-even after 25 (almost years) it makes sense! Thanks for the wonderful post-
God's Blessings be on you all,
Love Aunt Helen
P.S. and that is one charming picture of Vasi-paintable as they say;)
So stinkin' cute!
Post a Comment