About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

New things

With each passing year, I get a little more self-confidence under my belt. Thanks be to God! Although I still struggle quite a bit with "self-image" and HEAPS of insecurity... so it'll be another century or so before I've eradicated all sense of self-consciousness.

But, because of my ever-so-slowly-dwindling sense of insecurity... I decided to try a snood. After Kristin linked to some amazingly beautiful snoods, I was admittedly intrigued. After searching the Garlands of Grace website, I was highly impressed with the site and the young ladies who run it. So, I had a paypal gift certificate (which I totally forgot about) and I thought I'd use it. Why not? I though "It's time for a new 'head covering.'" I've been wearing the same silver headscarf at church for a few years now. But the snood seemed appealing, as there are no long ends dangling about for curious little hands to tug at.


Monday, the package arrived in the mail. I tried it on immediately, and started snapping photos. It was SO easy to put on! Light, beautiful brown fabric with a decorative brown lace at the edge.

Side view, with all of my hair tucked in. It kinda makes me look like I have really short hair. I didn't realize how dark my haircolor is, and how closely it matches the snood.

Here I pulled out a few messy strands for a less austere (read: anabaptist) look. My expression says it all, "Wow! I never thought I'd be wearing one of these!"
But WHY NOT? Snoods are cool. Vasi agrees. She told me I looked like Treva in her book The Trouble with Trolls. Fortunately, Treva is not a troll, but a pretty little Swedish girl. Thanks, sweet girl.

Outside of church, I like to wear kerchiefs and hats. So when I became Orthodox, I thought "Nice! Now I can wear them to church without seeming too weird." I know the whole "to cover or not to cover" can be an "issue" within different congregations. But fortunately it's not a divisive issue at our church (some women do, most don't, but nobody really worries about it, thankfully). And so maybe one of these days I'll wear it to Liturgy or Vespers. For some reason a snood definitely seems "different" and takes me out of my comfort zone just a smidge, but after i wear it to a few services I know I'll "get over it". I hope. We'll see.
The package that the snood arrived in was very impressive, too! This decorative touch was on the back (I would show you the address label, and how it was beautifully hand-written, but I don't like advertising our home address on the 'net).

While I won't be wearing this or any headcovering full-time, I am intrigued by the idea. I've noticed that most women have (an often subconcious) desire to "say" something via their physical appearance. Clothing, hair color, piercings, or any other alteration of hair, body and/or clothing. I don't think that's a bad thing. I think it's "in" us for a reason. For me personally, I both enjoy wearing hats, etc., and I like that there is a historic tie-in to tradition and how it evokes a sense of femininity in such an adrogynous world. It's, perhaps, my way of being "girly". hehe.

20 comments:

Martha said...

Very nice! I love the color you choose...
I love wearing scarves. I don't wear them too much, but I like to cover my hair up on days when I don't feel like washing it, or it's windy...they are fashionable, especially as a headband!

Anonymous said...

cool! I love it and it looks really pretty on you. Good for you for stepping a bit outside your comfort zone.

Do you know Gorgonia in Goldendale? She always wears a black snood, and wore it at the benefit dinner for the monastery the other night, too. She looked great.

Your friend who likes head coverings and really isn't sure why ...

Anonymous said...

Vasi herself looks so like a 'pretty Swedish girl.' So cute!

Phronsie said...

I like it! I don't wear one but it would be a good idea to sometimes (for me), I may have to get one! You could show off the pretty handwritten-ness if you blurred out the street name and such. I mean, you could always leave the state and zip code or something.

jenny baker said...

at our church it's about half and half as far as head coverings. we're an antiochian chuch so we have greeks, arabics, russians and everything in between. :) the russians wear headcoverings more often than the arabics, i suppose it's more of a culture thing. most of the younger ladies (including myself) wear scarves. i haven't seen any snoods yet though.

love the little pumpkins in your window by the way!

Anonymous said...

Xenia, I think it looks nice too. After first I thought it was just for everyday, like how women occasionally cover their hair- I think it'd look nice like that too. Here in Greece most women don't wear head coverings in church but at certain churches more do than at others. I've always worn a scarf because of the Scriptures and because I think it's practically helpful for modesty. I agree with you about aspects of our tradition invoking a sense of femininity. This is why I choose to only wear skirts. Not so much to be girlie (since I often wear sneakers with skirts and don't even own heels) but to maintain the distinction of being a woman. (BTW I laughed out loud at your "read: anabaptist" description.)

Lauren S. said...

Cute! I too, laughed at your self-described anabaptist look. I think scarves and head coverings are so pretty.

Mimi said...

I really like the snood, and the color you chose as well.

Gorgonia's mom attends my church, just a small world story, Kristin. :)

Jennifer said...

I think it's beautiful! The color is perfect and will go with anything. big plus!

There are probably 3 women in our entire church who cover their hair, but it's no big deal to anyone. No one says anything, suggests anything, etc... To each their own.

Bluecanopy said...

ooh me likey. lovely details in the crafting from what i can see. very pretty.

Anonymous said...

You look fabulous snood-ed! I'm thinking I need one of those...to tame the beast that is my hair in the morning.

Iconography Girl said...

Oooooo!! Lovely snood! I looks great on you! And your hair does look darker than I think of it being. I actually wore a snood under my wedding veil -- it was a open pearl net of a snood, kept me from having to do my hair.

I used to cover my head in church until I was pregnant (I got too hot and felt nauseous) and had babes in arms who pull them off. I'd like to start again. It helps me keep a better sense of place.

Of course, the irony for me is that head coverings in church are somewhat a point of modesty and yet when I started doing it I was thinking more about how I looked: did it match my outfit? Should I wear earrings? Contacts and a little mascara? Yia-yia-tie under the chin or more sophisticated wrap and tie behind the neck? I am NOT saying or implying it is that way for anyone else, just shallow old me. I finally got over it by wearing one of two scarves every time (a thinner one for summer, a thicker one for winter).

The exception to this is when I go to the monastery: I just throw one on and head out to the chapel! And then think how lovely all the other women's handsewn scarves are, etc... AGHHH!!

Degrees of separation: Gorgonia & her husband are our koumbari and DS1's godparents! She is awesome...and has great snoods. :) She even wears it under her scarf in church and I've always wanted to ask her if that helps keep the scarf from slipping.

Christina said...

I meant to tell you on Sunday how nice it looked (you took that step by wearing it to church) BUT, I am in chaos mode on Sundays and usually do not get to have even a simple "real" conversation:)

I wish we were still a society were women covered their heads only because it would mean I wouldn't have to ever think about my hair! I put on a bandana when I cook because I have a bad habit of pushing my hair out of my face esp. when cooking.

If I ever go back to wearing a head covering in church, I would consider the snood route because it looks (correct me if I'm wrong) like it stays in place really well. I didn't like constantly having to re-adjust my headcovering (just one more thing to do) in church.

Anonymous said...

Garlands of Grace has an incredible knack for making coverings that stay on your head brilliantly. I've bought one of those headband-scarf things they have, and now, inspired by XK, one of their lacier-looking snoods and I love it. I can't figure out exactly how they make it so pretty in the back, but the gatherings and ribbons are perfect.

Since I've been wearing head-stuff pretty much all of the time, I definitely get into that thing Iconography Girl (hi!) says, about fussing too much. During services, I at least cover over my fussiness with a scarf now, usually a fairly plain one ... inspired here by Gorgonia, again. Her wearing of a snood was definitely one of the things that inspired me in wearing head-stuff in the first place.

And yes, it's my experience, at least, that layering coverings lends additional traction and keeps everything in place on the head.

Small world indeed. :-)

Molly Sabourin said...

That is lovely on you!!

I had never heard of a "snood" until right this minute. I think I would need more than one to cover my own thick, curly, frizzy hair.

maria said...

Looks very nice! I used to wear scarves all the time too, until it got too much with the kids. I may try a snooze though, if they stay put well enough. Do they? I mean, it kind of defeats the purpose for me to wear a scarf if I have to touch it more than once after its on.

maria said...

Oops, hahaha, it's snood!!!
LOL

Monica said...

Makes me think of my son... I think I'll post about it!

Alana said...

Looks awesome! I think I'm gonna start a campaign to get me one.

::Sylvia:: said...

Wow! It does look beautiful on you! I've been thinking about ordering one of these too. I'll have to check out the link to where you ordered yours.

BTW, we're doing a kid's swap {we're not swapping actual kids though :)} on my blog, come join us if you'd like!