About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Monday, September 29, 2008

When does fall begin for you?
Around Sept. 21st... :D

What is your favorite aspect of fall?
The wind and the leaves. The silent yet sudden transition in the atmosphere from intense, alive, HOT summer to subdued, crisp, reflective fall. Going for walks at dusk and peering into cozy houses. The abundance of fresh vegetables and fruit harvests. A reminder that God is, indeed, good.

What is your favorite fall memory?
Oh, there are too many. When I was younger, I LOVED Halloween and I'd start planning my costume in August... I'd make decorations and just go crazy with all of the excitement. Now I don't really "get into" Halloween that much, but I still love my memories of my childhood enchantment.

I also met Job in November some six years ago... that was pretty special. But for some reason I don't associate November with fall. It's kind of this "nether-month"... in a good way.

What do you like to drink in the fall?
Fall is when my penchant for Starbucks starts to increase, and I have a harder time not giving in. Usually I like to support local coffee shops, etc. But I really like their fall specialty drinks. They've got them nailed.

What’s your favorite fall food?
pumpkin muffins! Squash. Fresh, crisp apples. Meaty stews, anything that warms the house with fragrance.

What is fall weather like where you live?
So far it's been kind of on the warm side.

What color is fall?
rich, golden sunset yellow

What does fall smell like?
pumpkin-baked goods, coffee, candy (there's something distinct and unforgettable about the scent of a bag full of trick-or-treat candy). Also, I love the smell of the outdoors in the fall. Fireplaces are being lit for the first time months, and the air, for some reason, smells like smoked ham. Maybe that's just me?

Holiday shopping in fall:
Yes. This year I am absolutely determined. Especially now because there are soooo many sales! I at least want to get a bulk of it done, because last year I really was too preoccupied with gift-buying and I felt robbed of celebrating Christ's Nativity, mainly because of my own distractedness.

If you could go anywhere in the fall, where would you go?
On the set of an L.L. Bean photo shoot. Is that Maine? Amazing. I'd put on a pink pastel parka and walk my proverbial Golden retriever through the forest with my Ken-doll husband. *wink* haha.

What is your favorite fall sport?
Nothing in particular. In high school, volleyball for sure. I have great memories of going to football games with friends, too.

Do you have a favorite fall chore?
Hmm... getting out the sweaters and also baking more! I really need to get better about putting up some fall decor....

What is your least favorite thing about fall?
The shorter days. By the time Job gets home and dinner is done, it's usually so dark and it just feels too late to go for a family walk. BUT... we should do it anyway. I just FEEL more tired, too, though.

Also, I just feel like this year went by far too fast. I'm almost in shock that it's already October. You know? So this year I feel... I dunno... kind of sad that this 2008 is almost over already! In my mind, it should still be spring. :D Which is strange, because usually I LOVE the fall.

What is your favorite fall holiday?
I like 'em all!!!

What’s your favorite kind of pie?
probably apple, but I'd be hard-pressed to ever refuse any kind

Which do you prefer, the Farm or the Fair?
I guess the farm, since I've never really been to a fair in autumn. And we have so many farms here, it's great!

Do you have a favorite fall book?
The Biggest Pumpkin Ever

How about a favorite fall poem or quote?
Ummm. I LOVE the song 'Autumn Leaves' (Eva Cassidy's version)

4 comments:

Christina said...

It has been an unusually warm few days, hasn't it? If you would like, you can blame me because I switched the kids clothes (put away shorts and pulled out sweaters, etc.). So then, of course, it has to warm up (90 yesterday!) so that I did not have anything appropriate for Petros to wear:)
I also like the Starbuck's fall drinks. I like anything that involves pumpkin. Burgerville has the awesome pumpkin milkshake (not yet, though, but it's coming!).

Christina said...

BTW...I did the meme, too:)

Martha said...

I love the Pumpkin Spice Chai at Starbucks, I'm going to have to find out when my sis works next and mooch one! ;)

I just found Eva Cassidy on Playlist and like her stuff...very soothing. Thanks!!!

In our parish, there are some who celebrate Halloween, but for us, we've decided that we can dress up any other time we wish. What I don't like about it is the fact that there are so many demonic or scary "outfits."

Mimi said...

I love this meme, and reading everyone's answers. I kind of feel the same way about November - it isn't fall anymore.

I also like Starbuck's, even though I should buy local more often. But, I succumbed yesterday to their amazing rice krispy treat and a latte.