Hello! Please forgive me taking so long to rebound after the GREAT COMMENTERS APPRECIATION (echo, echo, echo) hooplah.
Life around here has been pretty normal. I'm trying to work on some new art projects. I need to be more diligent and productive with my free time. This is something I REALLY struggle with. After all of the dishes are done and crumbs swept... I just seem to blank out in front of the computer screen. Reading whatever. Blogs, mostly, but occasionally something stupid like "Where are they now" celebrity updates. GRRR. It's strange how something that seems so mindless and, at times, harmless, can really be such a suffocating passion.
There are so many other hobbies that are at least fruitful and edifying.
Susy is teething. I had my suspicions of this over the past few days... but I didn't know for sure until today when she was refusing to eat when I offered. If you've seen my child, there is no hint of food refusal whatsoever. So after a frustrating morning when nothing seemed to work in the way of soothing her, I finally just popped her in the sling and held her close to my chest while I finished up chores. I don't usually "sling her" while we're at home (*groan* I think I just got kicked out of the AP club for saying that), mainly because she's a tank and I fear for my chiropractic health when I wear her for too long . Normally I only wear her in the sling when we're out of the house with errands or church or going for a walk. But, it was so good to have her close and she was so happy there. I'm just happy it worked!
I had to get a package in the mail (Marfa's winning package, to be precise) by 2:00 pm at the university's mail room (which is just a hop, skip and a jump away). Then we walked to the coffee shop, where I treated myself to a blended iced grasshopper (mint mocha) in honor of my sister and brother-in-law's anniversary. CHEERS, sis and bro! (Grasshoppers are Christy's favorite!). It proved to be a delicious indulgence... I rarely buy such a fancy drink, but it hit the spot on this warm day, and it helped sooth my frazzled nerves a bit from everything else.
We then walked to my MIL's house to help with the dog while she was at work. We stayed for a little bit and I let Vasi watch some little kids' programs on her uber nice tv. I know it's bad, but there's just something so darn cute about watching her sit in her little chair and stare pie-eyed at the screen. So innocent and trusting. Which is why I'm glad we don't have a tv, since it makes watching it at Grandma's house all the more of a "special treat."
So we made it home in time to clean up the hurricane of a mess that I left behind. I started dinner and managed to keep my sleep-deprived 2yo (and 4mo, too!) sane while I got food in order. I was happy to see my husband arrive home out of the kitchen window. Wahoo!!! His energy and enthusiasm is contagious, and we're always so glad to welcome him home. BUT... today? He came home feeling really sick. Sore throat, exhaustion, headache... Off to bed, Job! Somehow he managed to crawl into bed, admidst a sea of rainbow-haired trolls (where I dumped them, because I had to use the box they were living in to use for the package I sent to Marfa, of course!) and a chatty and persistant toddler beckoning at his bedside. A toddler who, mind you, never took a nap today. Not because of any resistance on her own part, but simply because I got a late start in my day and had to do my errands during her usual nap time.
Fortunately she held it together fairly well, despite her sleep deprivation, and it helped her nodd off to dreamland without any delay or struggle. Huzzah! Victorious.
Such a full and demanding day... and yet it helped me rely on God more. Oddly enough, such a crazy day occurred right after I realized I needed to be LESS dependent on the internet. To re-prioritize. So many times I rely on "breaks" (checking e-mail/blogs, etc.) to get me through the day, bit by bit. But today I held back... I took real breaks instead, by cuddling my babies. Taking walks. Interacting with other people. Getting changes in scenery. Talking to God, singing.
So if my apperance here on my own blog and within the blogosphere is a bit spotty, then don't worry. It's a good thing. I don't plan on deleting my blog or anything (because at least writing, I find, is much more productive than just mindlessly browsing). But I'm going to try to face my inner demons and start fighting these weakening impulses. It's been a struggle for a long time now. Really, I want to take a stab at my dreams and just create. Illustrate, scrapbook, write poetry, paint, draw, etc. Time is so precious, and I need to use mine better.
:D Cheers to you all, and enjoy these first days of autumn!
13 comments:
Thank you for sharing. You and me both! We fight the same demons!
This week I've put together our daily schedule. Severely limiting my computer use. I have 2x a day when I can sit and blog, read blogs check email, etc. I don't just have projects but a farm and 4 children to homeschool. This thing was tremendously getting in the way, by my own choice. But I had to fight it and that I did.
Speaking of which, my time is up and it is now time to wake the kids to start their day!
Have a Great week creating!!
I loved this update, and enjoyed hearing about your day, prayers for Suzy's teeth.
And, I've never heard of an iced grasshopper, wow that sounds amazing.
I've been wondering where you've been...it sounds like you've found some great reasons to not blog so often. I find myself in the same predicament as you when it comes to desiring mindless distractions (what is it about us?) This morning, as I was sleeping in way too long, a voice inside me said, "Christy, you can do anything you want today...why are you still in bed?" That encouraged me to get up, but have I done anything productive or creative yet today? NO.
I'm jealous of the grashopper, there is nowhere to find a drink like that here (at least that i have found yet). Thanks for thinking of us, and having one in my honor :)
I love little peaks into the window of your life, thanks for writing such real blogs, they inspire me and make me feel connected to my sister!
Lots of love,
christy
Oh, I am SO impressed...you don't have a TV. How I'd love to get rid of ours, but there are programs I enjoy (Masterpiece Theatre and Nature on PBS) and I do enjoy a DVD now and then.
And I enjoy hearing about the box I'm going to get....that was full of rainbow colored trolls! ;) I hope Job gets better soon.
I'm right there with you on the wasted time on the internet. Sometimes, it's worse than television!
We don't have a TV either, but our kids watch DVDs on our computer. That's a lifesaver for me when I'm really sick (like this past week).
I love love love busy days like the one you described (minus the no nap for the kids and hubby coming home sick, which oddly enough, both happened to us today!)
Enjoy your productive free time. :)
Hey there Katie, it was so good to see your post! :) I used to put Christina in her front pack when I did house work, etc. She was happy as a clam. However I had to give up with Mr. Mike, he was just too heavy! Babies love being close to mom.
The box of Rainbow Trolls sounds like the title to a children's book-it brings a colorful image to mind too! I can't wait to see more of your artwork.
I hope Job is better-we have some bugs down here too, ugh. Hope y'all stay well,
take care,
Love to all,
Aunt Helen
Ooooo. . .I am enjoying your blog. And I sympathize with your sentiments (especially those about creativity). And I'm 'hearting' your Etsy shop. Who knows when you'll get this comment, but I'm adding you to the ol' blogroll!
Your day sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOO familiar!
Good for you! I've been trying to get myself "off" my internet addiction, but I keep getting lured back. Yesterday I decided to try to have ZERO computer time on Wednesdays and Fridays -- um, you will note that yesterday was a Tuesday.
Thanks for your inspiration! I think I will get off the computer right now and clean up the mess in the kitchen behind me...or is that the baby waking up to nursed (groan).
GOOD STRENGTH TO YOU!!
You go! Look at me... 8:30pm. I was designing albums all day, and now I'm STILL on the computer! You've inspired me. I should read a book... or something. What do normal people do? ;)
I have no idea if you know me at all, but I am a friend of R. Daniel's from AK, and found your blog off of her blog.
It's so incredibly crazy how when you are in the midst of the tender chaos of life with kids, and feel like you must be the only one so frantic and scattered, but then when you see these blogs or talk to other moms you see that almost all of them have the same struggles. For me it is oddly comforting-I'm not alone in freaking out about not having time in the day to take out the trash, even though it takes 5 minutes, because in a some similar way, there are many out there with the same predicament. Homeschooling adds to the time crunch, and with a busy working/school-going hubby it makes life a bit insane(Sounds like for you too). But I love it. When I sit back and think about the wackiness that is my life and the world around me, I'm glad to have this home where I'm (literally) being tugged 3 ways at once, have to decipher 2 different stories being told to me at once by a 4 and 6 year old, and force myself to live in a bit of a mess with repetitive dinners. I'm thankful that God has given me these challenges to smooth out the sharp edges in me, and children to test my patience and love. Now, I just need to re-read this on every day that I feel like I'm losing my mind...like EVERYDAY :).
Good luck with getting off the computer! I have enjoyed reading your blog very much in my scattered computer time, and I hope taking a break lets you accomplish all that you want/need to, and adds to the joy of your busy life.
I didn't mean to write so much, or so much about myself...Sorry! This is YOUR blog, not mine :P
I have also found more sanity in my life when I kept to the rule "no internet usage while the kids were awake unless desparately needed (like a mapquest or something).
If I designate 2 nights a week to blog/catch up/have fun on facebook, then I feel "plugged in" enough without feeling fried!
Sounds like you had a productive day, anyway! Wish we were closer. I would have loved to help out and share a treat at the C squared.
I love you!
Um, we have a TV now, and let me just say that I am equal parts amused and horrified when Peter can quote, word-for-word, some random line he heard on TV like, oh TWO WEEKS earlier. The kid's memory! It scares me. Where did that retention ability come from? NOT ME.
Also, my love for and dependence on the internet is probably at an unhealthy level right now. I feel a long-overdue Web fast creeping up on me. It's just. Agh.
Good post.
Post a Comment