About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I think it's funny when I read an online article about "How to Save Money!", only to realize that I'm already doing all of those things. Does that ever happen to you? Like, just now I found an article on msn about how to throw a party for less money. With Susy's baptism coming up (on Saturday), I thought I'd read the article and learn a lesson or two. Turns out I CAN INDEED throw a party for under $22,000! Imagine that! I guess this means there'll be no live band or ice sculptures. Sorry friends, I have to skimp this time... you won't be taking home any crystal candy dishes for party favors. Needless to say, my whole budget is on a much smaller scale...

Speaking of Susy, her icon arrived last week! Our family icon corner is finally complete. Top (L-R): St. John the Baptist, Theotokos and Christ-child, Christ, Guardian Angel. Bottom (L-R): St. Susannah, St. Job the Righteous, St. Xenia the fool-for-Christ, St. Basil the Great, St. John Maximovitch

The large picture to the left of the icons is not an Orthodox icon, but a very special framed print. It used to belong to my grandpa, who was an American Baptist pastor (it used to hang in his office). It shows Christ, patiently knocking on a door which is surrounded by thick patches of unsightly weeds. Shortly before he passed, Grandpa told my mom that he wanted me to have it. So it holds a lot spiritual and personal meaning to me.

Eventually I would like to add a hanging vigil lamp and a corner shelf to place our incense and books. But for now, at least all of the icons are up!

Well I would like to write more... but the girls are now up from their (late) naps. Oh, let Mom Shift #2 begin! Two questions: When's my 2 week paid vacation? And when will they stop pooping? I heard that this whole poop stuff starts to dissipate after a while. Is that true?

6 comments:

Meadowlark Days said...

I love seeing other people's prayer corners!

I'm glad you have your grandpa's picture. I have several meaningful Catholic pictures, etc., that were my late grandma's. They're not like Orthodox icons, but they still mean so much.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

I love the icon corner !

The painting by Holman Hunt is a favourite of mine, too.

Anonymous said...

Our baby girls are going to be "sister saints" in a way. I didn't realize Susanna was a myrrh-bearer.

I am so sad I can't be there for Susy's baptism, it really bothers me that I can't just fly up there for it! LEt her know I love her so much, and I am praying for her!

Oh, and in case you haven't heard, the whole poop thing kind of happens til we die :) JK

Love ya!

Christy

Susan Sophia said...

paid vacation? never!
poop stuff dissipate? never!

sorry.

Oh, wait! I don't wipe butts any more, that's right. I guess maybe when the youngest was about 4 I stopped wiping butts. :) But it's very different when the diapers go away...potty train away my friend.

Phronsie said...

$22,000, LOL! Goodness, who ever would have thought that you could spend less than that on a party...

I'm so ready to start potty training, morning sick and poop just don't go together (well, you know what I mean). Bleh! Our problem with potty training is, as soon as I get him OFF the potty, THEN he goes... Not quite right, LOL!

Mimi said...

That's so beautiful. Like Meadowlark, I have a couple of Catholic holy cards/icons that were my Grandmother's and one of the Perpetual Help is in my icon corner.

Beautiful.