About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Friday, August 15, 2008

I should probably rename my blog "I Don't like how I look" because that seems to be the disclaimer I constantly feel compelled to share each time I post a picture of myself. *sigh* It really is a spiritual battle... much more so than I'm willing to admit. But, this blog isn't supposed to be about my insecurities. I was just gonna share the above photo with all of you, because it's been a long time since I posted a family picture (I don't know if I've ever done that), and as soon as I posted it, I had an overwhelming desire to instantly apologize for and criticize the the way I look in said photo. Arg.

WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY WAS...

Last weekend we made the 4+ hour trek down to southern Oregon for a wedding... one of my closest friends was married on 8-8-08, and I was MORE than honored to be her matron of honor. It was so beautiful... the bride, the wedding, the reception, the Italian buffet that I (admittedly) gorged on (I know, very appropriate during the fast, eh?). Heather the Great photographed the wedding... how WONDERFUL to have another close friend shoot the wedding photos? IT made the day all the more relaxed and fabulous. Truly, the whole weekend was a summer highlight. We stayed in Ashland at my relatives' amazing home, and enjoyed a day of sauntering around the downtown area. The above photo was taken at Lithia Park.

Today was a scorcher... I think it got over 97 degrees at one point. Oddly enough, Job and I and my MIL took the babies out for a walk right in the middle of the day. We walked to a local coffee place for lunch. Coffee: the only thing that can get me out on a blistering hot August afternoon. And yes, it was iced. I'm cheap, but I'm not crazy. The outing was actually quite refreshing. Otherwise I'm sure I would have spent the day in a hot, hazy, couped up mental fog.

Maybe it was the coffee, or maybe it was the crazy heat that inspired me to go berserk on the messiest room in our house. We call it "The Mutant Room" because it's a mess. It's where all of our junk was deposited during our move, while we tried to make every other room in the house look presentable. I wish I had "before and after" pictures to you show, but I never ever took pictures of this room, because it was just that bad. This weekend my goal is to hang pictures and art on the walls. Then, maybe then, our house will look a little more "put together."

Speaking of art... another long-term goal I have is to post more original art on my etsy. Like I said a few months back, I'm hoping to get rid of some stuff that has accumulated over the years. I would also like to offer some new original work (mainly small watercolor studies and drawings). My etsy shop currently offers prints, but I realized that in the time it takes me to go to a print shop and have the image printed, I could just as easily paint a picture. Would I rather haul my two kids and myself to the print shop or stay at home and paint? Hmmm... So! Here's hoping... Maybe by January? :D

14 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

What a lovely photo of you all !
You look radiant and lovely !

Mimi said...

I think you look absolutely delightful and what a peaceful (and cool) photo of the four of you.

The wedding sounds lovely, Many Years to the newlyweds!

Anonymous said...

I love the family picture!

It's funny, all our lives you were never the insecure one about your looks! I always envied your confidence, and the beauty you radiated all the time. You should feel even more beautiful now than ever because you and Steve have created so much beauty! I'm sure it's easy to feel insecure after having babies, but every time you feel bad about yourself, just think of how much your husband loves you for who you are, and take a look at your girls, and how you would never want them to think badly about themselves (that's how God looks at us, as His beautiful and unique creations).

I love you sis!!!

Christy

Helenrr said...

Katie, your family is beautiful and you are gorgeous! That is a wonderful photo and reminds me of the times Angelo and I were out in parks enjoying the day with our kids. I am so glad we took time to do that too. I know how you feel though about pictures, I am somewhat the same way (I see a lot of myself, or my past thinking, in your blog), which is why you rarely see me in front of the camera. I would much rather be behind it!
Beautiful wedding couple :)
Wonderful what Christy said and so true..
much love,
Aunt Helen

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just wanted to say: Thanks for the links :), thank-you for the ice cubes :), and you are a gorgeous family, and good for you for attacking the Mutant Room ;) (I still haven't done mine), and sorry I haven't come to visit recently! I will be much more available after wedding season :). AND I have a whole bag of baby clothes for you to look through and see what you want (my mom works at the pregnancy center). Hope to talk to you soon!

Susan Sophia said...

What a beautiful picture!

Nikki said...

Hi There! Blogging is so much fun! Found yours from Heathers! And I have to say that I love your wit! :) If you send me your email I'll send you a couple pics I captured of you at said wedding.

:) Wee!
Nikki

P.S. You are a beautiful and radiant Mommy to the sweetest cherubs around!

Iconography Girl said...

You look great in the photo and in person! I'm always amazed, even a little [confess] envious, of how well put together you look!

I find with each baby I am more self-critical and insecure not only of my looks, but, really, of who I am. So much changes forever once those little ones arrive! If you have a moment to catch yourself in the mirror, it is a face, a person, a life you don't recognize anymore. (especially if baby #1 was within the first year of marriage!!)

Good strength to your 'return to painting' efforts! I signed up for the Artisan fair hoping to pull together some kind of iconography portfolio (originally I thought I could actually paint a few icons by then -- hasn't quite happened). But, with DS1 in preschool, I'll have the same home situation as you. Hey, if I could paint an icon for a friend back in May while all three were around, it should be a cinch with just two little ones, right?

Iconography Girl said...

(I meant if I could paint icons with three kids home in the day, I should be able to do it with two...not implying it will be easy for you, but I do encourage you to go for it!!)

Lauren S. said...

that really is a nice picture! you look cute!

Known Alias: Ingrid Tuesday said...

You're pretty.

Martha said...

What a sweet photo! I know, sometimes I wonder if I'll ever be that COOL mom you see in the magazines as you're checking out your groceries...well, this is the real world and I'm sure you do a lot more that those "moms" do, they have nannies to help out!

Phronsie said...

You look just fine woman!! You're very beautiful!

Molly Sabourin said...

You look adorable, Kathryn - and also you are witty and creative! What could be more beautiful than a woman finding strength, resilience and artistic inspiration through prayerful mothering?