Here is the recipe that many of you asked for (and in case the link I tried to provide didn't work for those whom I've already sent this to). Here it is for your enjoyment. BIG PROPS to Maria, a fabulous woman who goes to my church and also has a rad blog. In fact, I left Maria's original comments included in the following recipe. I found them very helpful and informative, as I'd never really used these ingredients much prior to making this first last March. Some things aren't your run-of-the mill household staples, but go ahead and invest in them. Things like raw apple cider vinegar and coconut oil are great to have around the house... if for no other reason than to make these pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next two weeks. They're just that good.
Lenten Pancake Recipe
1 cup flour/grains of any kind (I usually use sorghum, oats, buckwheat, rice in any combination and form)
2 cups hemp milk or coconut milk (I like using hemp milk because it is high in protein ~ I'll use coconut milk if I feel we need more fat)
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 T flax seeds or flax meal when not using eggs
1 cup almond meal
2 eggs (optional)
2 T coconut oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
The night before put flour/grains, hemp or coconut milk, vinegar and flax seeds in blender. Let sit overnight. The next morning add the other ingredients and blend till smooth.
Make pancakes as usual. Serve with maple syrup and blueberries.
__
Thanks again, Maria! And if I may add my own two cents, use whole coconut milk if you opt for coconut milk, it makes a difference-- I think it's what makes these babies so tasty and filling.
___
***Clears Throat****
Uhmm.. I did it. There's an Etsy link on my sidebar now. A link to my own "shop", that is. I'm not pointing it out so much as to make money... but just because YOWSERS people, I actually got something accomplished on my neglected "to-do" list! So, if the shop itself achieves nothing else, at least it exists. I'll try not to dream TOO big, but I am hoping to add more stuff to it in the bit by bit.
9 comments:
Yeah for the Etsy shop!!!!
I love the name!
I've been looking for a homemade Lenten pancake recipe...will this really work without eggs? I don't have quite a few of those ingredients (coconut oil, almond meal), but there is a Whole Foods about 15 min. from here. I have to admit I've been buying the Aunt Jemima Original mix and just adding a dash of nutmeg, oil and water and they turn out perfectly. I would prefer a healthier version though! Sounds like this is one to try....
Thanks!
Congratulations! Whohooooo! Love the Shop!
Thanks for the recipe. And kuddos for your Etsy! Very nice!! It must feel good to cross that off of your list.
That looks a lot like Sue Gregg's recipe...I'm glad to see more variations on it! I'm pretty sure this would work well in the waffle iron as well! Yum. I can't wait to try this! Almond meal would make them extra-hearty and filling, I would think!
I can't wait to try this recipe! I'm also glad to see you opened an Etsy shop, I'll be stopping by to check it out!
Yay! Congratulations! I know that's something you've been wanting to do for a long time :).
Please share the marionberry muffin recipe you made for us the other day, they were AMAZING!
Love ya lots!
Christy
yay!! it's my turn to make breakfast for the sibs tomorrow and i know they all (especially anthony) will love this recipe!! thank you so much for posting!!!!
love,
christiana
Post a Comment