About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Vasilia has been a bit of a stinker lately. Last night she kept waking up and we just didn't know what to do with her. Lock her in her room? Ignore her? Join her in relentless sobbing and just let it all out?

While the options swirled in my sleepy brain, I was reminded of the brochure I'd read at the funeral home on children's grieving. It said that children might act out, lose sleep and have bad bowel movements. I was told that Vasilia would be too young to understand, but her behavior lately is telling me otherwise. She knows something is different. She knows that Grandpa Larry isn't here anymore.


“Grandpa Larry” was Job's dad. He passed away last week. It was rather sudden, even though his health had been poor for the past decade. We knew he could “go at any time” so to speak, but we were expecting a build-up of some kind. Oh well. Sometimes softly and swiftly is a mercy, and we're all thankful for that.


His memorial service will be this Saturday at the local Friend's (Quaker) church, where Job's family goes.


In the mean time, we're scrambling to cope... finding the balance between re-entering the rhythms and routines of life and taking time to process, breath, talk, cry. Vasi's world has been thrown off-kilter... again (we thought life would slow down after our move AND the new baby). And our lives are-off-kilter too, as someone so hugely important and so very loved, is no longer here. We've lost a Dad, a Grandpa, a Father-in-law.


Job and I are so thankful we were able to live nearby these past few months. The past few weeks have been dotted with leisurely walks to my in-laws' house, watching NBA playoffs, eating dinner, hanging out. We are especially grateful for a nice Father's day celebration with Larry.


This blog has always been a good outlet for me. I may or may not use it to write/share more reflections about Larry. We'll see. Over the years, I've been touched by your kindness and encouragement. Please keep Larry in your prayers. Please pray for my mother-in-law and for Job and his brother and sister. Please keep me, Xenia, a sinner, in your prayers. So far God has bestowed an immeasurable amount of grace, without which I would be feeling very overwhelmed and lost.


O Heavenly King, Comforter Spirit of Truth, Who art everywhere present and fillest all things, Treasury of good things and Giver of life: Come and dwell in us, and cleanse us of all impurity, and save our souls, O Good One.


11 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

I am so sorry to read of your loss.
Memory eternal to Larry, and my prayers for you all.

If Vassi heard someone mention anything like "he fell asleep", even if no-one thought she was paying any attention, she may be afraid that others in the family are likely to die suddenly.

Children at such a young age understand far more - and worry far more- than we often give them credit for.....

MamaBirdEmma said...

May his Memory be Eternal!
I am so sorry for your loss, Xenia. Your family will be in our prayers.

Laura said...

I am so sorry. May his memory be eternal!

Mimi said...

Oh hugs dear sweet Xenia Katie and Job, and to Vasi and Susannah. May Larry's Memory be Eternal.

My youngest was three when Dh's dad died, so I know what you are going through.

Lord have Mercy, Lord have Mercy, Lord have Mercy.

Bluecanopy said...

i'm so sorry to hear of this. you have my prayers for you and your family.

may you all find comfort and peace.

Susan said...

so sorry to hear about Steves dad Katie.
Your in my prayers

Lauren S. said...

memory eternal.

sorry about your sad time. when hannah has trouble sleeping, which she has had recently, on the nights that we remembered to ask St. Nicholas and her guardian angel to pray for her to sleep well, she did. :)

Katie said...

That's hard to watch you kids react to stuff that's going on. Addie always notices when Chris and I are tense ... arguing, packing for a trip, or anything that makes us on edge, and she definitely reacts to it. I hope you guys are taking care of each other (you should drink some coffee, take a bath, or whatever else you like to do).

I wish I could come visit, but maybe we'll talk soon! I love you.

jenny baker said...

what a wonderful gift for you to have been able to share father's day with him. i am so sorry. may his memory be eternal.

::Sylvia:: said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, may his memory be eternal.

Children do understand things much earlier than most give them credit for. May God be with all of you during this difficult time.

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I believe it's true that babies do grieve. When we adopted our daughter, I believe she went through a time of grief, too. (Although everyone told us she was too young to "know" what was going on.)

Blessings,
Michele