I've got a few more precious days with Job here at home on an extended "paternity leave/ vacation." He's been a dream, helping me out and entertaining V. I'm nervous for when he goes back to work... maybe you can help!
For those of you with two (or more) kids, I have question. What helped you the most when making the transition to FULL DAYS with both kids? What do you do with a toddler while you're confined to a couch, nursing an infant? What do you do together that keeps you all happy and sane? I had visions of taking V. to the park with little S. in a baby carrier... but then I envisioned V. running off and climbing on not-age-appropriate play equipment, and me scrambling and threatening and losing my mind.
I really, really want to be a plugged-in mom. I want to cut back on my internet use and be engaged. I want to use my time efficiently. So... how do you do it? Let's hear it, I'm all ears!
8 comments:
I don't have two kids, obviously, but I've heard that when you're stuck on the couch nursing one, you can read to the other one. I'm sure you already thought of that one though! :)
We have recently discovered Crayola paint. It is washable and our almostt-two-year-old LOVES to paint! She spent an HOUR in the morning happily working on some pictures and then another half-hour in the afternoon painting and mixing the paint on her paper plate in the afternoon!
We've also discovered the joys of the sink and pretending to wash dishes, pouring and stirring with Mama's measuring cups and big spoons, and using a few "water" toys (a small pump and a mill).
It's hard for the first few days and then you'll get into a rhythm!
Probably the most important thing for all of you (including Job) is to develop some sort of routine. It doesn't have to look like anyone else's, btw, you do what works for your family. Make sure that there is time for you to not have children attached to you as well. That's hard at the beginning with an infant, but it is important that you do have some time, otherwise, you might go bonkers!
When David was a nursing infant and Ana was 15 months old, we managed. Sometimes I would read with her. Sometimes she was content just to cuddle up next to us. Other times she found ways to amuse herself. It will work out...don't stress over it.
And...you can go to the park. It will be fine! A daily walk was part of our routine for a long time!
I agree with Laura 100%. I lived and breathed by a routine with two kids. The predictability of "what's next" was soothing and created a sense of a safe atmosphere for the children.
I would read to my son while nursing the baby. We would also "chat" about a variety of things. :o) He "chatted," while I listened. I also used the time to teach him to entertain himself.
I strongly believe we have done society and ourselves a disservice by creating a child-centered world. Life does not and ought not to revolved around the children. They feel safer when they know an adult is in control and will take care of things.
Thus for your eldest to learn that life does not revolve around her but that the world is made up of many people, including Susannah will be a good life-giving lesson.
Thus don't worry too much about how to keep one occupied while you are tied up with the other. Teach them to be independent and entertain themselves while "Mama" is busy with something else.
routine is good. the early days with james are kind of a blur but one thing that helped hannah was that while james slept i did stuff with her, just her and i. even if it was just her helping me unload the dishwasher. she amazed me too, how much she wanted to help me with james. i think it made her feel included when she was allowed to hold him for a while or hand me a diaper. there are so many busy projects at michaels. crafts are always great.
It has been nearly 9 years since my 2nd one was born and I was feeling the same way you are and my memory is really bad. I do remember that our toybox was in the LR and a big shelf of books. My oldest LOVED books. Having just a small choice of toys though is better than a big huge box of too many choices. They become overwhelmed with the choices and then nothing looks good. Or better yet have 2 boxes of toys and trade one week on and one week off and then keep it by the nursing chair/sofa. Puzzles are another great thing. Nursing isn't a huge long time of needing to "entertain" so another idea that just popped into my mind was maybe have a bag of books and puzzles or toys that are just for that special time on the sofa.
All I can say is learn how to nurse with Susie in the sling! That can be a life saver for so many situations, I can't even tell you!
You stop at Mike & Heather's on the way to the park and say, "HELP!"
;)
Post a Comment