So... it's not a new thing. Every year, when spring shows it's cheery smile (or the foreshadowing thereof), I panic. I don't have anything to wear!!!
I wrote about it last year (g'head, scrounge through my archives--I'm too lazy). This year I'm stressed out trying to locate some maternity clothes. Yes, it's finally time to give in to the maternity clothes. I managed to make it through winter without dipping too heavily into the stash... thankfully long, tunic style clothes are in style this year and easy to snatch up on junior-section clearance racks.
But today I went to Fred Meyer's (that's a big department store here in the NW) and I went a little crazy buying a boat-load of 60%-off clearance things for V. and I. I didn't try anything on, I just forked over the card and winced and brought my items home to try on.
Guess what? I returned them ALL this evening. Not one "worked" for me (and Vasi's clothes, I realized, weren't even that great of a steal when I sat down and did the math... Yeah, you know your cheap when 60% off is only "so so" of a sale. Garage sale seasons just can't come soon enough! ). I realized I had a mass of clothes that I wasn't even crazy about, didn't even fit right, and in all truth, were probably destined to become "passe" and fall apart in a year anyway.
Part of the reason I returned the clothes is because my little "shop in the jrs. section for larger-sized, trendy clothes" trick didn't really work out this time. All of the shirts I tried on were just a wee bit too snug. Ironically enough, all of them were long enough and aptly covered my belly... unlike the maternity clothes I've just pulled out of storage. Yep, all of my maternity stuff has been washed too much, and now has shrunk, exposing the bottom of my belly. Not cool.
I bought a "bella band" a few weeks ago, thinking that would cover my multitude of sins, but after wearing it every day for a week, my stomach started cramping. I think it's too tight. All I know is, I had a lot of Braxton hicks the week I wore it, and they stopped once I stopped wearing it.
I don't like the way that "maternity" clothes are so cheaply made. Such a waste. I guess I'll keep trying to avoid buying them, if I can find some spring-y clothes that will do 'til baby comes (and *groan*, probably for the months to follow).
I really just want to find a dress or two and wear it every day, nonstop. That would rock.
Okay, just had to get this rant off my chest.
6 comments:
I had two pairs of maternity overalls I pretty much wore the last three months with both kids. Since the overall part covered my belly, it didn't matter if the shirt underneath was too short. They were also comfortable since they didn't put any strain on my belly at all. Maybe something like that would work for you?
katie... make sure you have lots of room in your car... you can borrow my maternity stash when you come over for Petros' bday on thurs. I even have a couple of dresses for pascha!!! you are smaller than me, but I think that they should work fine. sorry the bella band didn't work. i loved mine.
I always had a long, long, long "frumpy" stage - too big for real clothes, too small for maternity. Sweat pants (or yoga pants now, they didn't exist back them) saved me.
I wore a denim jumper all the time. I wore any type of shirt underneath 'cause the belly was covered. I shopped at the thrift stores and purchased assorted jumpers that were full enough to wear pregnant and even after being pregnant.
I also had Braxton Hicks with the second baby a lot more than with the first.
I don't want to brag or nuttin, but I found these sweet uber-long tees at Old Navy during their last sale. I bought four. They fit me about seven hundred times better than my old (shrunken, yes) maternity tops.
Maybe I should have bought them all.
oh, maternity clothes. I have to say, I do not miss that very pregnant stage. I hope you find some good ones! Old Navy always worked for me!
Post a Comment