About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Thursday, January 24, 2008



It's St. Xenia's feast day! But, you already knew that, right? Last night I got to go to my first feast day Liturgy of St. Xenia. In years past, our parish has only had morning liturgies (which are hard for me to attend) or morning akathist services. And that's only in the past three years. Before that, there never was any form of celebration... I think because our parish is a Greek parish, and St. Xenia is more widely known in Slavic churches. But she has become very popular and well known, even in our church. Many people have been helped by her intercessions, including myself. She is, indeed, a great helper for those in search of jobs, spouses and housing, and I do feel like she has assisted with all of these areas in my personal life. Case in point? This week we've been able to start looking at buying a home! This came as a huge shock and a big blessing, especially as we prepare for Baby #2. I don't think it's a coincidence that all of this has taken place during the week of St. Xenia's feast day.

Yesterday I baked five loaves of artoklasia, and brought them to Liturgy. There, again, was another miracle!!! First off, that my dear little daughter actually managed to entertain herself for 3 hours, thereby allowing me to bake the massive amounts of bread. And secondly, that the bread turned out to be tasty despite having been burnt a bit. I was a bit mortified...er...HUMBLED to have such a blackened offering, but amazingly enough it tasted okay! I received many genuine compliments on the bread, to which I could only reply with an astonished, "Praise God!."

Today? It's the same ol'. I'm wondering if my daughter is ready to skip her daily nap. She takes FOREVER to fall asleep, and then she's only in bed for about 30 minutes before she wakes up again. It's very frustrating. Maybe I should just spare myself the frustration and skip the nap altogether? Hmmm.... She is almost 2. Any advice from experienced moms?

Well, right now my dear little pumpkin head needs me. She's grasping desperately at me, wondering where the heck my "tummy" went. She's grown accustomed to lifting my shirt up and grabbing my belly-flesh any time she wants to say "hi" to the baby. Well, today I picked up a "Bella Band", and it fits so snugly around my middle that it leaves her quite puzzled that my flesh isn't readily accessible. To tell you the truth, I kinda like it that way :) You know a sweet as it is that she wants to kiss and squeeze "Baby #2" all the time... it is nice to have one's skin back to herself.

All right, off to find her some (diluted) juice! Maybe I'll venture out for a cup of decaf... Job won't get home until late tonight anyway, it will help pass the time. Have a great day, everyone!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Happy Name Day!

When my kids were that age, ready to start giving up the nap, but I WASN'T! we instituted something different. Rest time, rather than nap time. It was time for listening to a tape in the tape player they could work themselves, and our rule was that they had to lie down in their beds for one (or two, depending) sides of a tape, and then they could get up and play quietly in their room for another half hour. That gave me the needed time to rest and sometimes even to nap--especially important during pregnancy! and gave them the needed time to just rest, even if it's not a nap. I think it helps with the transition for everyone. We kept rest time for quite a while, since I was not ready to give it up!

Mimi said...

Happy, Happy Namesday! I thought of you my friend!

It sounds like good things are brewing!

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

A belated but heartfelt Namesday wish for you !
Many Years !!!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Namesday!

Bluecanopy said...

happy late nameday! i thought of you ...i loved your blackened bread story. it's so nice when things just pull together :)

about the belly. mine is now lovingly referred to as "squishies" by both kiddos. gee thanks, huh. i know what you mean about wanting your own skin! i miss the tight preggo ball.

Naps...ahhh now there's a hard one. i like rest time too. i've heard of a lot of people doing that. gives momma time and then you can do an earlier bedtime. that's what we've been doing lately. although i really prefer naps to grumpy kids in the evening even if they sleep later...but it was just getting to be such a kink in our days and my ability to be a gentle, rational mommy. i hope whatever you choose goes well, really .