About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Monday, January 28, 2008

In the Bleak Mid-Winter

So what is so hard about January? Mainly the third and fourth week of January? All of the Christmas cheer is completely kaput. New Year's resolution zeal is already beginning to wane. Cold weather becomes even more intense. Spring seems so close and yet so far. And if you're me, Christmas "Thank You" notes still need to be written and mailed. Although this year, the grinch in me wants to wait and only send thank yous to those who actually send them to ME. I know, that's horrible. Being polite just isn't in fashion these days, though, and it's hard to find the motivation to send thank you notes when no one else seems to think they're important. Oh well, it's the right thing to do.

I'm at that point in my pregnancy when I'm starting to LOOK pregnant in places other than just my belly. I'm worried about gaining copious amounts of weight this time around... I thought I'd "do better" this time, but the scale isn't making any such indication. Oh well. If I've learned one thing, it's that the weight will come off eventually, and it serves its purpose (fat stores for nursing). *shrug* All I can do is do my best to stay away from refined grains and sugars. Exercise is kind of a joke, I've been a big wimp with this colder weather and "just not feeling like it."

House-searching is such a roller-coaster ride. It has been that way for the past year. Up and down, up and down. One minute we're thrilled at a prospect, and the next we're cautiously backing away from it. We're considering moving down south, where Job and I lived before Vasi was born. Houses are cheaper there, and we're familiar with the town. It would just add more commute time to church and Job's work. Hmmm.... not too fun to think about, but we can't have everything perfect, right? Please keep us in your prayers, we're growing a bit weary of all this. Part of the dilemma is Job and I's clashing tastes. I would much rather go for a smaller, cozy bungalow with character. He, on the other hand, is a glutton--err--highly in favor of square footage. Which means anything built in the 70s on up, with a) low aesthetic appeal b) yards the size of a doormats b) poor quality construction (I could be wrong about this).
Again, we can't have everything perfect, right? I guess that just needs to be my mantra from now on.

All grumpiness aside, ultimately Job and I are confident that God is directing us towards His will. He will ultimately be the one who gives the "go ahead" on our next housing move, allowing us to move forward without any monstrous obstacles in the way. I just feel sorry for our real estate agent, whom we've been dragging along on this roller coaster for the past year.

I'm off to read "Farmer Boy" by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Sara, you inspired me to get into the "Little House." I was never interested in reading the series growing up (after all, I watched the show on TV, who needs to read? *wink*), but I am thoroughly enjoying it now. Ingall's writing is so relaxing, I find.

By the way, here are some sites I've thoroughly enjoyed the past few weeks.

In the Trenches of Motherhood is a new blog that chronicles one family's New Years resolution against buying "stuff" and deciphering the line between "wants" and "needs" when spending.

Then there's Design*Sponge. If have an interest in art, interior design and fun, do-it-yourself projects, you too will have a heyday here. Thanks Ingrid for providing the link! I've been inspired by the "Sneak Peek" category, as it shows creatively decorated homes that are refreshingly original and personal... It reminds me that beauty in the home can be unique, and doesn't have to rival an Ikea showroom. Not that there's anything wrong with Ikea... I haven't been there (yet), but I am a fan.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh I know how you feel; we began searching for my family's first house a while ago, and I don't know how successful we will be. I will keep you in my prayers :)

Susan Sophia said...

I completely understand the house hunting woes.
I just want to add a vote in for you and your "smaller, cozy bungalow with character"...as a mother and homemaker I must vote this route! The larger the house the more there is to clean!!! The more square footage the more "junk" there is to organize and store away and honestly, the more we *think* we need because we have to fill in all that space. Who will be at home to take care of all this? YOU. :)
We've only ever been able to afford "smaller" homes and we are a family of 6. I'm very thankful that I do not have more space to clean and take care of...this is hard enough. Smaller and quaint is friendly and warm. It's more opportunity to be together rather than spread out hiding from one another.
My prayers are with you.

Athanasia said...

I have to agree with Susan Sophia on this. I've owned and sold 4 homes. Bigger isn't necessarily better. Bigger means more time spent taking care of it, gardens included. With two small children, I can assure you, time will not be had for pulling weeds in the garden. Trust me on that.

Do not discount the amount of time and cost for a commute to work and/or church. Factor in time, wear and tear on the car (repairs) and the cost of gas; then add 10% to what you estimate. That will give you an idea for budgeting.

As for house purchasing, newer is better because there are less costly repairs. Older homes have character, but also have many more things that breakdown and either need replacement or repair.

Frankly, if I could make the choice I'd either live in a house that was no more than 1500 sq ft or rent. Owning a home isn't all it is cracked up to be.

If I may be so bold, please let me also say, do not max out your budget for a mortgage. Foreclosures were up by 75% last year.

May God bless and guide you in this effort.

Mimi said...

My favorite series of all time! Fabulous books.

Houses do come together, I've seen it again and again - if you need to bounce anything off of me, just shoot me an email.

And, hugs.

Susan said...

the right house will fall into your lap. Ive seen it happen again and again!!Most recently with Yianni and Hannah. Their house looks like it was just made for them.
While a larger house is more to clean, its also easier to keep organized and uncluttered. My take on the subject:)Whenever I feel overwhelmed with the house I can always go sit in the living room, which is always clean because no one ever goes in there. Except when my grandchildren are over:)They always make forts and things in there. They play "hot lava" too. I went in the lr once and saw Pavlos running across the top of the piano keys!!! I actually heard it before I went and checked it out.
As for January!!! I was newly pg with Yianni that January of 1978. I was sicker "than a dog." I kept thinking if I only can make it through this month..all will be better. And guess what, I did, and it was.
Seasons are there for a purpose. The harder the winter, the more beautiful the spring. The daffodils are already peeking out.
I love your personality Katie. You are so honest and pure!!!

Katie said...

Thank you for writing about house-hunting. It got me thinking about it, so I called up the Portland Community Land Trust, and found out we can get on their waiting list right now even if our credit isn't there yet. Hooray! We may soon be following in your footsteps. (soon, as in the next two years hopefully).

I am tired of not having a fenced in yard@

Katie said...

actually, I am not sure if I agree with philippa's comment (with all respect).

I have had two apartments, one that's seventy years old and one that was two years old. The one that was two years old broke down all the time ... in one year, the fan broke, the drawers in the fridge broke, and one other thing broke.

The only repairs in this home were things that were there when we moved in, and nothing has broken since we've lived in it. I think the construction from a while ago used to be a lot more quality than it is now.

Anonymous said...

Oh I know. January seems to take forever! I don't know if it's just me, but February usually seems to be a little better...maybe because it's Mike's birthday and we're so much closer to spring :).
Hey, can I do some pregnancy photos of you?

Anonymous said...

Sorry. "***" is Heather Espana-McGeehon. Don't know why it didn't show up! :)

Xenia Kathryn said...

Hey Everyone! Thanks for your comments.

Elevation Perception:
It's a pleasure to meet you! Thank you for your name's day greeting, AND for your prayers regarding the housing. I'll say a prayer for your family as well. We'll get through this, right? :)

Susan Sophia,
Thanks for your prayers, I'm glad you agree with the bungalow idea! I totally agree, they are more friendly and warm and conducive towards family unity.

Philippa,
Thanks for your input, I appreciate your perspective. Maybe it's just here in Oregon that the older houses seem more structurally sound. Yes, we are doing our best to keep within our means. No foreclosures for us, please! :)

Mimi,
Thank you for your encouragement and offer to give advice. You would be a great resource,thanks for the reminder!!! Hugs back!

Susan,
You are so sweet. What a compliment! Thank you. It's good to know that houses do "come together" at some point.

Katie,
I love your apartment (and I know you do too). It always makes me want to move to an older house. I'll be praying for you as you're on the waiting list for PCLT! I'm so excited for you, what a great program.

And Heather, aka *** :)
Of course! Let's do another photo shoot! Three cheers for spring (let's hope February brings a little sunshine?).

Known Alias: Ingrid Tuesday said...

There's a bajillion houses for sale in my 'hood. You guys should maybe do the House Flyer Crawl and see if you can't come up with something that suits you both.
Not to be pushy or anything.
:-)