About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Thursday, January 31, 2008


Hanna Andersson Outlet Haiku:

Where rich women go
To spend gobs of dough on kids
Who don't need new clothes


My daughter voluntarily plays in an enclosed play area with two other children. I'd rather not leave her there, but she won't move. Not if there are tea cups and a doll house to play with. She wears a Hanna Andersson coat, so I feel like she "fits in" with the other kids who are sparkling in their Swedish organic cotton duds that were probably purchased on their mother's last Hanna Andersson Outlet binge. Which was probably last week? Considering the duplicates of what they're wearing are still hanging on the sales rack. But back to her coat. It is a "vintage" H.A. (ahem... 10 years old) that I found at a consignment store. Does that still count?

Half the moms there share my paranoia of appearing to be horrible mothers by letting their children play unattended in the play area. We hover dutifully and, build the confidence to walk to the clearance rack 2 feet away, where we steal glances of our offspring placidly ramming toys together and looking confused.

The other half of the moms really are horrible moms, leaving their 5 month olds to fend for themselves as they scour the racks for a $24 Christmas dress that little Mabel can wear "next year." I'm kidding, they're not horrible. In all truth, we all wish we could shop the same way, with complete abandon.

Then there are the women who bring their enthusiastic and even-richer moms, or mother-in-laws. These grandmas both watch the kidlets AND foot the bill at the end of the spree.

I try not to judge, but I really can't help making such humorous observations. I thought the concept behind buying well-made, good quality clothes was so that you wouldn't have to keep buying new clothes all the time? Hmm... I guess not. The way these women shop, you'd think their poor children were scampering about the hills of Lake Oswego buck-naked. If that were the case, then indeed it would seem appropriate that they stock up on miniature fairlisle sweaters and fur-collared cordouroy dresses. Let's not forget the wooden heeled clogs and matching tights.

So what was I doing at the Hanna Andersson outlet, poor and unwanted ruffian that I was (and with my daughter in "rags" at that?). Buying a present for a friend's new baby. And drooling over organic cotton pajamas and onesies. Wondering just how far I could push the envelope with purchases... and quickly realizing I had no good excuse for buying anything but the gifts I had picked out.

5 comments:

katie j said...

oh, hanna. I haven't attempted that yet. good for you!

I feel much more comfortable at Target.

Known Alias: Ingrid Tuesday said...

You're a brave soul. I have yet to venture out of my "Old Navy-Target-Goodwill" Bermuda Triangle. Lake O scares me. :-)

Lauren S. said...

never heard of it...

i thought i wa fancy when i went through gymboree's clearance racks though.

Xenia Kathryn said...

Katie J. and Ingrid,
The H.A. outlet is close to husband's work, so if I visit him at the office I sometimes stop in at the store.

I do indeed feel more accustomed to Goodwill/other 2nd hand stores. But dangit, the H.A.O. has me stumped with the dynamite play area.... Almost makes it worth the extra $20 for a pair of socks. JK.

Lauren,
Hanna Andersson is a Swedish children's clothing company that's headquarters are in Portland. I never even knew of it until I moved to Oregon. I think Lake Oswego has the only outlet? But I could be wrong. I will say, though, that they're clothes are of amazingly good quality.

Gymboree is pretty posh, too :)
Go clearance racks!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Hannas are great quality for sure (100% organic cotton on most things, and everything else is certified by some test that ensures that no yucky chemicals can leach into baby's skin). It's worth it at least for pjs, I would think!

_Carrie