So I have this guilty pleasure of visiting Oprah.com every other day to catch up on what her shows are/were about. I don't have a tv, so I don't actually watch the show. Plus, I don't want to be OR appear to be an Oprah-disciple. THAT said, once in a while there is something of interest on the show that I like to read about.
Last night I read about her latest guest, Liz Gilbert who apparently wrote a book called "Eat, Pray, Love". I'd never heard of this book, but from what I read, Oprah and a million other women in America LOVE it. So I read on about what made this book so special. And why is Oprah's perpetually well-dressed, clean-cut, wealthy-classed audience so enthusiastic about it?
Basically the book is about the author's own spiritual journey. Apparently she had "it all," the career, the husband, the blah blah blah. Then she decided it wasn't what she wanted out of life, so she just got a divorce (simple, huh?) and started traveling the world in search of pleasure, "god" and balance. Hmm... kind of a strange and contradictory amalgamation of pursuits.
After eating in Italy for four months, worshiping in an ashram in India for four months and studying under a shaman for four months in Bali, she found love and wholeness and universal peace....
So. What have I got against the whole concept of finding happiness? Well, when a book has inspired women to cavalierly leave marriages, pursue pleasure and psuedo-spirituality--all in the name of "happiness"-- I can't help but sigh.
Different guests on the show praised the author for helping them "out" of the normal life they were headed towards. The husband, the house, the kids, (oh my!) etc. Now they boast of world-travels, exotic, intellectually stimulating careers and a strange new religion that, not surprisingly, revolves only around themselves.
Perhaps the most disconcerting aspect of this new "revolution" is that it's self-seeking behavior which you'd expect from a teenager, NOT mature, grown women. The religion of "me" is truly infiltrating our culture, and everyone of every age wants a part in it. Forget child-rearing and a nurturing home environment and a healthy marriage: there is apparently NO JOY in that. Why devote your life to the service of others when there's windsurfing to do in the Caribbean? Yogis to glean from in India? Semolina products to consume in Italy?
I'm not saying that traveling or having adventures in and of themselves is necessarily wrong or selfish. I think we need to take breaks and relax and make sure our needs are met each day. But the constant search for pleasure? That isn't what makes life LIFE. It won't grant long-time fulfillment or satisfaction.
I think what gets me the most is that the author is perpetuating the lie that REAL women don't settle down and "live the norm." Only the brainless, self-destructive, unintelligent women choose the path of marriage, motherhood and mortgages.
Well it just so happens that the women (and men) I admire the most are those who have chosen just that. It's not the women who are seeking to eat for the mere pleasure of eating, or pray for the mere self-delusion of "spirituality", or love for the sole benefit of self. It's the women who, day by day, have to remind themselves to eat because they're too preoccuppied taking care of others. The women who struggle to pray to the true God and maintain a rich, genuine relationship with Him via their prayer life. The women who choose to love the husbands they chose, throug the good and the bad. The women who love their children, even when there are no thanks or praise in return of their motherly self-sacrifice.
It would be all too easy to plug into the culture and buy into the deceptive belief that Ms. Gilbert (and Oprah) are trying to sell. But all in all, I see right through this flimsy theology of "Me." Lord have mercy.
11 comments:
Interesting... That sounds like a book that would drive me nuts. I can't stand to read stuff like that 'cos they make life sound so easy if you spend the money and hurt people... It just, grrrr...
I'd love to go abroad to see other places but I'd NEVER give up my marriage or my baby (and someday "babies") to do it...
I dont like Oprah. She is selfish and self serving in my opinion.
She also endorsed a book called The Secret, I think. It basically said if you want to be rich, surround yourself with rich people, if you want to be skinny surround yourself with skinny people etc...
I come from the generation of women who, in the 80's decided to "find" themselves...all this did was leave a bunch of husbands in the wake,children left, households in chaos. All in the name of finding oneself. A nice way to put ditching responsibility.
Life is hard. Every step has its own problems.
It is in facing those problems, not running from them we learn, and increase our faith in God and in ourselves!!
I had never heard about it either, until I was standing in line at the bookstore and heard two women GUSHING about it. Then I saw it at a friend's house, and flipped through it... my reaction was pretty much the same as yours.
I have that in my "to read" pile. I agree, however, there is a dangerous thread of "follow your bliss" in the current culture that assumes that your needs are superior to those around you, and if you aren't "happy" all the time, you can stomp on those around you to make yourself happy.
Sigh.
Well put, Xenia. I love your thoughtful and intelligent posts!
(and the book? though I haven't read it, it's one of the most popular books around right now -- and my impression is the same as yours...totally self-indulgent!)
Thanks for your responses, ladies! For some reason blogger didn't e-mail me like it usually does when I receive a comment, so I was afraid this post hadn't resonated with anyone. I'm glad to see it did!
Susan, I think your comment about watching other 80s era women "pursue their dreams" and basically ditch responsibility is very insightful and interesting!
Again, I really have enjoyed reading all of your comments and thoughts.
I saw this show too. I occasionally watch Oprah, after I check her website first to see what is on, and I had seen this book at Costco, and was curious.
Humph. I watched with my eyes rolling to the back of my head with long sighs. Very well put post, XK.
i concur...preach it, sister!
I have actually read this book. While I may not agree with divorce (except in cases of abuse), I found Liz's story to be incredibly powerful and spiritually helpful. It's about healing, which everyone needs. It's about coming through a horrible time, seeking peace and finding it, wanting to know God and discovering Him. Everyone who has gone through divorce (life, for that matter) has a different story. It is not always about selfishness. My beloved pastor has just gone through a heartbreaking divorce - not one she wanted. She will have her own story of healing, too. I don't believe Liz should be discounted because she has lived her life differently than someone with contrastng values. Eat, Pray, Love might not be for everyone, but it did great things for me spiritually and I am glad it is in the world . People need to share their stories.
Heather,
Thank you very much for your comment! It was very well put. I do appreciate input from someone who has read the book. While I still hold my first-impression opinions regarding some of the things she mentioned on Oprah, perhaps I should not have been so quick to write off Liz Gilbert's personal hurt and her desire to share her story with others.
It's funny, when I was finished writing this post I figured that if anyone were to have read the book, it would be you :) Love you much Heather, and I look forward to seeing you tomorrow!
Good post, Katie!
It's funny, I had an interesting experience today as I was driving. It was close to dusk and I was killing time because my two precious angels were asleep in the back seat, and I figured they could use a full nap, so, as I often do when this happens, I find a neighborhood I don't know very well and drive around.
Since it was dusk, I observed lots of perfectly displayed Christmas lights on beautiful, large, open split-level homes in the neighborhood of my dreams....and I thought of all the things I could do if I had a house that large, and all the money it would take to keep it up and polished, and then I started thinking about how if I wasn't a SAHM I could have a house like that, and if we had just waited longer to have kids, etc. etc. etc.
and then a still, small voice reminded me to look into my rearview mirror at my two sleeping miracles, and realized that I wouldn't trade any perfectly renovated split-level in Cedar Hills for the life I have now.
I stopped right there and realized what a sin it is to desire a life that's not your own! It's a sin because it's the beginning of the tear that can destroy a marriage and family.
Since then, I have tried to observe all the times those thoughts came into my head (about wishing for something different) and I couldn't believe how many times they sneak up on me!
That said, I probably *shouldn't* read that book, lest it plant any more seeds of desire in my already weedy soul!
LHM
Post a Comment