About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Caution: Writer has prego-brain. Expect spelling/ grammar errors.

In the weeks leading up to Christmas there's always a bit of a "hush" on the blogosphere, and understandably so. I know that I have been preoccupied with getting ready for the holiday... I wish I could say I was doing so in a spiritual sense, but I can't. I think--no, I KNOW--my priorities have been in the wrong places. But the beauty of it is that there is still time. Every day is a new chance to scrape myself up off the ground and to start anew. To focus, to re-prioritize.

Here is our tree. V. is enjoying it, as it is about her height. She likes to poke the ornaments gently and stare at the angel on top of the tree. We didn't have an angel for the top when we first decorated it, so this past week V. and Job went on a "special mission" to the store to go find one. I was hoping they'd return with something a little more colorful and contemporary (or iconic?), but it's okay. They found the "crystalline" flute-playing angel at the dollar store.

Our dear friend Heather took our family Christmas photographs last week! They turned out beautifully. It's so much more fun to go to a park and play and have a talented friend sneak gorgeous candid photos than it is to sit in a stuffy department store portrait studio with a cranky kid in a huge, taffeta dress. NOT that it isn't nice to have the traditional studio portrait once in a while, it's just more fun the other way. :) Check out Heather's new photography website!

In other news, V. is getting to be such a big girl. She is a big fan of ketchup (make ours organic, please!) and any kind of bite-sized meat giblets to dip into it. Or pancakes. Whatev. Today after church we took our goddaughter and her brother out to lunch for their joint-names day (they both have the names of Old Testament saints), where plenty of ketchup was had by all. It was great to spend time with them, and it went considerably well considering we had three kids under the age of five in one booth (their mom was with us too, so we did have three-on-three defenses).

Job got his wisdom teeth taken out on Friday. He's also fighting a little cold. He's doing remarkably well, though! I hope he got enough rest this weekend for his work-week... He's so industrious!

As for me? This week will be spent celebrating a birthday (mine! Yes, I'll toot my own horn :D), then my dad's b-day (two family b-days in one week!), sending out Christmas cards, making wrapping paper (tempera paint on craft paper... a prospective "art project" with V.? who knows), hopefully scheduling and going to confession, spending time with my sister who is in town for a week (yay!), a midwife appointment, and continuing the seemingly hopeless search for a great, non-toxic, made in America, age-appropriate, budget-friendly, spectacular gift for our dear little girl. I saw a cute wooden coffee maker at Pottery Barn Kids... but guess how much it was? $50! I don't even know if it met my above requirements, but it was at least wooden. But $50? Too bad, so sad.

May your remaining Nativity preparations be accomplished with a light, blessed and S.A.D.-free heart :)

9 comments:

MamaBirdEmma said...

We got our little girlfriend a wooden rocking chair at Michael's this year. It is about $40, but they have 40% off coupons each week so that brings it down considerably. We are planning on staining ours, but you could also paint it!

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Have a happy and blessed birthday !
God grant you Many Years !!!

Mimi said...

I didn't know your birthday was this week! Happy, Happy Birthday to you and Many Years!

I love your tree! I'm giggling at V. poking the ornaments. So sweet!

Lauren S. said...

happy birthday!

btw, cost plus world market has some great wooden toys...not sure if thy are american made though.

Susan said...

just wanted to thank you again for the lovely watercolor you did for me. I am so excited to show it to Petros. I know he will love it, and more so because you did it!
You have such a gift Katie.
Happy Birthday sweet girl, I love Christmas babies, had one myself:)

annie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! MANY YEARS!
What a very pretty tree! Also, I got nosey and checked out heathers photo's which linked me to her blog which led to me the family pictures you refered to. They are so sweet. V. is such a cutie! I always think of that poem in which you wrote about her "blueberry eyes", that's the perfect discription.
Good luck finding affordable toys NOT made in China! sheesh.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Happy Birthday! Wow. Can you email me your exact birthday date so I can write it down and not forget? ;) p.s. I ordered your pictures yesterday, and they should be back soon!

Bluecanopy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

:)

Anonymous said...

happy birthday! And sympathy to Job!

Say, look what a Russo has put together (I was looking around on ABEbooks):

Byzantine Prayers Prayer Book
Raya, Archbishop Joseph, Fr. Romanos RUSSO



[30 Day Returns Policy]
Bookseller:
Angel of Peace Giftshop
(Lancaster, NY, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating: Book Price:
US$ 7.95
[Convert Currency]
Quantity: 1 Shipping:
[Rates & Speeds]



Description: Introduction: There is an ancient Latin saying that reads, "Lex orandi, lex credendi (The law of prayer is the law of faith)." Following this maxim the worshipper in the Eastern Church both praises God and learns the Divine Truths at the same time. Thus the Faith is expressed in the prayers and no one can be a theologian without praying and a theologian is defined as one who prays. This integral connection between belief and prayer exists because Christianity is Christ--It is being in communion with the "Living One (Lk. 24:5)". We seek not to know about God, but rather to be in communion with Him, and in turn we come to know and love Him Who dwells in us. This anthology of prayers is offered to the faithful of the Eparchy with the hope that it may be a means of growth in Divine Life. The prayers in this book are mostly taken from Byzantine Daily Worship, the official translation for English speaking Melkites approved both by His Beatitude Patriarch Maximos V Hakim of Antioch and All the East, and His Excellency Archbishop Joseph Tawil, Eparch of Newton. The few remaining prayers are taken from Take Light from the Light that Never Dies: A Byzantine Christian Anthology, published by St. Ann's Parish in West Paterson, New Jersey. Table of Contents: Introduction General Prayers Trisagion Prayers Troparia of Repentance Prayer before the Icon of Christ Prayer before the Icon of the Theotokos The Nicene Creed The Jesus Prayer Prayers during the Course of the Day At Sundown Before Retiring Early Morning At 9am At Noon At 3pm Prayer at Anytime During the Day Prayers at Meals Breakfast Noon Meal Evening Meal Prayers To the Theotokos Guardian Angel Patron Saint St. Gregory the Theologian 2006, New Reprint, Softcover, 20pp. Bookseller Inventory # 2893
Bibliographic Details

Publisher: STJP Press, NY
Publication Date: 2006
Binding: Pictorial Soft Cover
Book Condition: New
Dust Jacket Condition: None
Edition