I'm at my parent's house, taking full advantage of my mother's kindness and using her laundry facilities. Mom has taken V. out for a walk, leaving just me and the swooshing sounds of the washer and the mechanic churns of the dryer.
Just a minute ago it was drizzling outside, so I can probably expect Mom to return home any second. Then again, right now it's clear again and so perhaps she's still trucking along the streets of suburbia, pushing along my feisty little daughter as she goes.
Right now I'm just enjoying being able to blog without little fingers poking at the flashy buttons on our computer tower. Or the "background music" of a toddler demanding, with increasing persistence, to a) sit in the computer chair with me, b) fetch her more COOKIES, c) find Ernie on YouTube singing about the moon for her personal enjoyment. Take your pick. Or all three.
My cranberry cream pie did not "set" in the refrigerator correctly. It ended up taking, oh, 45 more hours than the recommended refrigeration time in order for it to fully gel and be ready to serve. But not without overflowing like a giant mushroom first and getting cranberry goo everywhere. I don't know, something went wrong with the recipe. It does taste good, but it doesn't look too appetizing. I keep resisting the urge to toss it... because it does taste good and it did require costly ingredients. OH well.
Speaking of refrigerators, last night after receiving news that my dear Job would be leaving for AZ in the near future for a week's stay... I was suddenly hit with a great desire to clean. Let it be said that usually I choose to clean--or DEEP CLEAN, more accurately put-- when I'm upset about something. And for me to have chosen the fridge as my domain of choice goes to show the level of despondency I was in. I don't like it when he has to travel. He's doesn't have to travel often, fortunately, but I am quite a baby without him.
The fridge has been the object of my neglect for the past two years. Errr... ever since I've lived in this apt. It was only my despair and my great need for clean tupperware and fridge real estate that drove me to start hoeing out the rotten, moldy garbage. Which of course lead to a deep cleaning because how could I further ignore the bio-hazardous pools of spilled teriyaki sauce and shriveled peas of all greenish hues. Ick. It turned out to be a task of epic proportion. Make that a Tolkien epic at that. Just when I thought I was finished, I'd go one level deeper and find more grossness to conquer. IN fact, I had to force myself to stop with the side compartments still uncleaned. That's a task for tomorrow.
Well, my Mom and V. have returned from their adventures. Laundry is still lugging away, and meanwhile time is ticking. V. needs a nap, but I don't know how successful I'll be at putting her down here at my parents'.
Goals for the week? Get some art projects finished, get back into the habit of housekeeping, pray more and NOT stress about Job being away. Who knows? Maybe we'll go with him. Oh! And finish cleaning the fridge. Yuck!
6 comments:
I'm sorry it didn't set, but congratulations on the alone time! Will you stay with your mom while Job is out of town?
I now how it goes when hubby is out of town. Hubby used to work, when we lived in Newberg, for a pool construction company based in Sherwood and they'd go to Bend for a week or more at a time (he'd be home on the weekend but still). No fun w/o him, I know the feeling... I'll keep you in my prayers.
When Fr. Paul was deacon for Met. Anthony, he had to travel about once a month. When I'd complain to people about that, I got a lot of "oh, once a month isn't so bad." My response was that I didn't sign up for a husband who traveled for his job! This was when I had young children and it was just so hard. (And then when he got back it was right back into the regular work schedule....which I always resented.) I definitely feel for you! Is it an option for you to go too? Arizona is beautiful and warm right now....I just got back from Tucson. :-)
mmmm....cranberry goo. I guess that was one good thing about getting sick over Thanksgiving...I didn't have to do much cooking ;). Congrats on conquering the fridge! I'm sure it's not as bad as Mike's bachelor pad fridge was....bleh.
I don't like it when Chris leaves either. I can do about one night, then I really miss him!
Three cheers for feisty daughters!
How'd the rest of the fridge go? I'm always so half-arse about cleaning mine.
Sorry about your pie. If it makes you feel any better, I made a regular old pumpkin pie that Hannah managed to stick her elbow in. :)
Post a Comment