About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving!

I'm doing my best to quench my raving appetite at this past-midnight hour. It's tricky to find anything that looks appetizing when you're counting down the hours until it's time to eat the sumptuous Thanksgiving feast. Toast and an apple slice aren't very appeasing when you've got visions of turkey meat, cranberry sauce and mashed spuds dancing in your head. Yep, I certainly am pregnant! And what's more is that I get to enjoy TWO meals tomorrow. Job's family dinner will take place in the earlier afternoon, and my own family's will take place later in the day.

My own contribution to the meal will be a cranberry cream pie. I found the recipe in this month's Real Simple magazine. I was not asked to bring anything but store-bought cranberry relish to Job's family gathering, and nothing to my family gathering. I feel kind of ashamed about this. Doesn't anyone trust my cooking abilities? My sister's making the turkey for goodness' sake. Derr... here's my pie that nobody asked for in the first place. When I tore the recipe out of the magazine and had it displayed in the kitchen while I prepped the ingredients, Job unassumingly walked up, made a face and asked, "What is THAT?" "Ummm... it's what I'm bringing to Thanksgiving tomorrow." Immediately his demeanor changes, a quick effort to erase any hint of disgust that was previously displayed on his face: "Oh! Looks good!"
I showed the recipe to my fellow baking enthusiast friend and asked her opinion, and she said she didn't care much for cream pies.
Strike two.
SO. Looks like I'm bringing a pie that nobody will eat. I plan on bringing it to Job's family hootenanny, and then when nobody eats any of it I'll recycle it and bring it to my parent's house. And when nobody eats it there, I will take the pie into a dark corner of the house and eat it all up myself, tears of self-pity streaming down my face. I guess it's okay since I was probably the only one in the first place who thought it sounded delicious. *shrug* So to the cranberry cream pie sitting and gelatanizing in the refrigerator: You, me, 6 o'clock tomorrow evening: I'm going to ravage you.
In other news, today I had another pre-natal visit. This time it was just a quick doppler check. The sudden, speedy whooshes of the baby's heartbeat instantly caught me off guard. OH! There IS a baby inside of me! Wow, okay, Hi little peanut! Praise God for His goodness! Lately I have kind of been stressing about the prospect of having "two," but the sound of the heartbeat was a blessing of happiness and peace.
I keep hearing from other experienced mom's that two will most defintely "change my life." But, but, but.... wait a minute! I'm not ready for this! I thought having my firstborn was the most difficult adjustment EVER IN MY LIFE... I thought everything was downhill from here. Now I'm hearing otherwise. Geez louise, what have I gotten myself into? I joke... sort of.
So lately I've been a little pensive and anxious, and thankful for six more months of gestation for the baby and for mental preparation for myself. Please, if nothing else, please remember me in your prayers. Mainly that I can keep my wits about me when Baby #2 comes in May!
With that said, I'm off to dreamland. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! Enjoy your day with friends and the people you love.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

I think it sounds good. Enjoy and have a wonderful Thanksgiving day!

Anonymous said...

Hey- I never saw this cranberry cream delicacy! Did it get consumed at the Tussing gathering? By the way-my public apologies for not asking you to bring anything. I thought I would spare you - knowing you were juggling two family functions, baby and pregnancy! But here I hurt your feelings and didn't even know it!!
Your "crazy cake" was a huge hit tonight for Christy's birthday dinner- thanks for baking it on such short notice!
Now,back to Lentils and Rice- and my body is ready for it!!

forgive me
Mom