About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Today was a good day! I had a 10 week prenatal appointment at my new midwife clinic, which I am SO thankful for! Long story short, the midwife I had with V. was fantastic, but I had to switch insurances after she was born and find a new OB. Well, the midwife I had been seeing for the past few months was nice, but we didn't really connect. After an unnecessary scare and a somewhat unprofessional comment on the health of my wee babe (who was and is just fine), I was open to finding another doctor/midwife. Then I learned that my PREVIOUS midwife (the one I had with V.) was working in a new midwifery practice that took my insurance. Wahoo! The only downside is that the clinic is half an hour away... boo. On the drive this afternoon, I was having doubts as to whether or not this was the right decision. After all, my last midwife (the one I didn't care for) was literally just up the street from me. But once I made it there and I was "reunited" with my previous m.w., I felt so reassured and thankful. Yes, the drive will be a bit long, but I feel I am in good hands, which is the most important. I think every pregnant woman deserves to feel she is being cared for to the best capacity. I walked away from the appointment feeling VERY informed, affirmed and encouraged. I got to hear Little One's heartbeat too! It's all so real now... God is so good!

That said, I'm finding myself a bit restless tonight. This seems to be a pattern as of late: I put the baby down to sleep around 8:30-9:00 pm, all the while telling myself "NOT TO FALL ASLEEP." I always do. And then I wake up two hours later, Job's in bed already and I have to get up and brush my teeth, put p.j.s on, etc. Then I hop in bed, telling myself "I AM STILL TIRED." But after blinking into the darkness for an hour and a half, tossing and turning and listening to Job and V. breathe, I get up and decide I'm hungry. Toast and apples at well-past midnight.

But other than this restlessness, I have been enjoying drawing more lately. I'm getting some "freelance" work (emphasis on the free, hehehe) for my church's newsletter, which has been very fun. I've also been working on a top secret Christmas project... I just hope it gets done by Christmas :) I should be working on it now, actually.... hmmm... I didn't get much done today because of the appointment and the traveling time, etc., so I feel like there's so much stuff I should be "doing." That's probably not helping with my sleeplessness.

Well, I hope you are resting well and keeping safe. My prayers are with the Californians who are fearing for their homes and safety. Most Holy Theotokos, intercede on our behalf.

8 comments:

MamaBirdEmma said...

I am really glad that you had a good appointment with your midwife! We are happy with our doctor, too. She is the only one in the practice (as opposed to our last office where there were about twelve doctors and three midwives... who knew who you'd get!) and is very gentle and sweet. The hospital and office are about an hour away though:( That makes me nervous!

Christina said...

I am so glad you switched out of that other mw practice. After the story you told me, I thought her commens were very insensitive, esp. to a newly pregnant woman! And it is worth it to go to a mw or doctor that you are comfortable with no matter how far away they are! both of my perinatologists were at st. v's and when we were in vancouver, it could be 40 minutes to get to an appt (and i went twice a week). and i delivered there, too. but better to have a doc. or mw. that you feel comfortable with. anyway, congrats on hearing the heartbeat!

Mimi said...

Wheeeeeeee! A good Midwife is aweseome

Phronsie said...

YAY! I'm glad you got your favorite back! I miss my OB/GYN, since we moved I don't get to see her and neither does baby ('cos she's a family Dr too). I wanted to bring her with us but I couldn't... I can't wait to be pregnant again, I just hope I can find a good doctor!

Lauren S. said...

Yay for good care! Are you going to home birth or do you have a birth center?

Hearing your baby's heartbeat is such a beautiful and reassuring sound. So the baby is due May-ish?

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations, Katie! I'm so glad to hear everything is going well. And I think that having a good midwife that you can connect with is worth any half hour drive.

annie said...

Hurray! What beautiful news!
A good midwife is so worth the drive. I made a 30 min. drive for mine,too. It only got old at the end when I was going once a week. I tried to make it fun for Johnny, we would find a playground to go to before or after appointments, sometimes I packed a picnic. Sometimes I left him with my friend or a grandma, that always works,too.
Anyways, I am thrilled for your growing family. Will you find out who's in there?
You have my prayers.
Thanks for all the concern during the fires. We are home and safe. Thanks be to God!

Bluecanopy said...

I was laughing because you explained my EXACT situation when I was first pregnant with Simeon (don't fall asleep, don;t fall asleep)...Poor Aaron would come in and try to wake me up and I wouldn't even feel him let alone remember he had tried to the next morning!! Those growing humans really take it out of you :)

Glad you *found* a good midwife...it sounds like the drive will be well worth it. Praying for you and the babe.