About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Commitment to Nerdiness

NOT to be confused with the lovely Emma's "Commitment to Loveliness."

Today is the first actual CHILLY day of September. The Northwest has been experiencing a bit of an Indian summer this year. The heatwave had me pouting, wishing for a cozy rain and a good reason to sit inside and sip a steaming cup of... well, anything.
So I was quite delighted when I woke up to a drizzle and a gray sky that looked committed to stay for the remainder of the day. In fact, V. was just given a big heap of winter hand-me-downs, so I felt adequately prepared to welcome the new season.
Well... except for my "cool weather clothes" are in no way cool, and in great need of an update. My sweaters have shrunk (from too many washings and since "motherhood" has changed my figure). Last year I wore the sweaters anyway. I usually tried to compensate for their shrunkenness by wearing a longer t-shirt underneath. Mmmm... not a good look for me. I end up looking sloppy and bloated.

I always wear a pair of jeans in the fall and winter, just because they're convenient... and for shoes I usually always choose a pair of dansko clogs. Big, clunky, black clogs that stick out like large raisins under my pantlegs.
And so, as you can imagine, I end up looking like a nerd attempting to look "urban chic?" but failing miserably.
So here's the question: how does one stay warm and look okay? During the fall and winter function usually wins over fashion for me, but this year I'd like to rethink that a bit. Help! I don't want to look like a nerd OR freeze in a t-shirt for the next four months! :)
This is the first time I've actually, kind of, sort of, maybe-a-little-bit, wanted summer to stay a little longer! Shocking.

5 comments:

Mimi said...

Oooooh. I am always behind - it's cold, I'm wearing summer clothes. In May, I'll be the reverse.

You are so cool, rock on!

Athanasia said...

Invest in long underwear! I wear two layers all winter long. The nice thing is I can wear them under my long (floor length) dresses because knee socks cover them and no one can tell I have them on.

I would freeze to death w/o my long underwear.

Lauren S. said...

Lucky people with all your seasons! It's still flippin' hot here. What does a momma have to do around here for some sweater weather?

I have found that a nice pea coat or fitted coat always makes any one look put together - no matter what is on underneath.

tinkers555 said...

one word for you...boots! with a knee length skirt (for fancy) or under jeans to keep your legs warm :) so many cute boots (of course they're too expensive - but one can dream...mmm camper "spiral")

Bluecanopy said...

don't ask me!!! i'm loving these hints b/c i too am a fashion nightmare.

i used to be cute.