About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Want what you've got, Use what you've got!


So here are some cool things I've "discovered." I've noticed that my "NEED" for "NEW CLOTHES" (read, new-to-me, as I usually shop 2nd hand) is usually curbed when I actually do my laundry. Novel idea, eh? But seriously, since I've been married I've never owned a washer-dryer in my own home, so washing opportunities were/are usually stretched out a week or two (sometimes three? *blush*). Needless to say, my favorite, endorphin-releasing clothing items are usually molding at the bottom of my hamper two weeks after I've worn them.... right when I want to wear them the most.

You'll know that I need to do laundry if I'm wearing outdated, ill-fitting t-shirts from high school and odd outfit combinations (wait... I do that all fo the time). There is defintely a chronological order to my wardrobe, starting with the most preffered items to the least. It's kind of funny how it works. So, when I'm fishing out these "least desired" items, I usually tend to complain more, i.e. "I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR!" "I HATE MY CLOTHES" "I NEED TO GO SHOPPING!"

So... the answer to my problems? Do laundry more frequently, in a timely manner. Not a bad habit to get into, eh? I feel dumb for having JUST made that realization, but it's all about breaking the patterns, right?
So, the cleaner my clothes, the less I lament, and the less I run to the store to "pick something cute." Kinda cool.

SECONDLY....

Listen up, my fellow breastfeeding mamas (and anyone else who wants to spunk up their 'drobe)! Here's a fun clothing tip that might help you make the most of your wardrobe. Some of you may be fitting back into your pre-prego clothes. If so, you are probably rejoicing, as you should. But what about those cute dresses that you loved to wear, but are now hanging untouched in your closet? Or maybe they're packed away in some bin for some unknown date and time in the future when you won't be a) nursing or b) pregnant. So... basically you have a bunch of cute dresses from your 20s and 30s completely unwearable until you're, like, 50.
Have no fear! Get those dresses out! You can wear them AND nurse. Just find a matching skirt to wear underneath! That's right. Knee-length dresses work best, as they're not too long and don't require pulling up a million yards of fabric in order to nurse. You can wear a matching longer skirt underneath if you prefer to cover up your legs (and you'll want to if yours are as pasty as mine are!). Simple -A-line skirts seem to work the very best for wearing underneath dresses. Choose a skirt that compliments your dress for a trendy layered look. Go crazy with the concept! Just be prepared for some wide-eyed looks when you start lifting up your dress... just smile and reassure onlookers that you're wearing a skirt underneath.
I've had fun utilizing past summer frocks and finally, finally getting to wear them again! Because there's no end in sight for this breastfeeding business. I've got a very savvy 16-month old who just can't be outsmarted or coaxed otherwise. Oh well, they're only little for so long, right? :)
Happy dress wearing. Tell me what you think, and if you want to, post a pic on your blog and let me see how you've turned something old into something new!







5 comments:

MamaBirdEmma said...

CUTE! Love the ideas!

Mimi said...

What a brilliant idea!

Lauren S. said...

hmmm....you might just be onto something XK. I love your blue dress btw. very cute.

Phronsie said...

Hey, good idea! I'll have to see what else I can come up with since I don't have a lot of dresses, but the need to breastfeed... :)

Bluecanopy said...

i have a friend who does this...haven't tried it myself.

i DO miss wearing dresses!! i can't do the nursing dress thing...too pricey!

great tip...maybe i'll give it a go.