About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Saturday, June 16, 2007


June is kind of funny. It always comes so quickly, and yet it doesnt' "feel" like summer. At least not in Oregon. Oregon's summers always seem to develop late. We get truly scorching weather from July to September, it seems.

Although we did have a bought of hot weather for a few days in May, which made for perfect laundry "air-drying" conditions. I got some interesting photos. I couldn't resist the contrast of fabrics, folds and textiles gleaming in the afternoon sun.

Tonight we're taking my F.I.L. out for dinner for Father's Day. Tomorrow I'll be helping prepare a dinner for my own papa. Most likely salmon and Greek potatoes... mmmm.

On a whim of boredom, Job picked up the first two episodes of HBO's "Big Love" at the video store Thursday night. I had been curious about the show in the past, and I recently realized it had been released on DVD. Despite the true-to-HBO-form initial raunch (um... lots of sex, just to warn you), we took a rapt interest in the storyline. Basically it's about a modern day Mormon, fundamental polygamist who shares a life with three wives in the suburbs of Utah. I got lured because of my odd fascination with religious cults, and Job ended up getting engrossed in the storyline, especially regarding the "mormon mafia". Something for everyone I guess. So now we're stuck. We don't want to get infatuated with the show, and yet we're curious to watch the remains on season 1. We don't own a tv, and even if we did we probbaly wouldn't subscribe to HBO. We are resistant to Netflix, just because we don't want to get hooked on a steady diet of movies, movies, movies (especially b/c I like 'em too much!). And we certainly don't want to continue renting from the video store, paying $3.99 to view a couple of episodes. I'd like to borrow the box set from anyone who might own it. Anyone out there wanna lend it to us? Anyone out there weird like us?

Steve's working today.... he had yesterday off. It feels like Friday today. I made blueberry muffins this morning and just put Froggy down for a nap.

Other than all of the above, there's nothing too new in our lives right now. Well, Froggy is WALKING EVERYWHERE now, and quite proud of herself too. She's communicating quite well and yet is still very much my sweet little baby.

OH! Aaron, to answer your question: I did remove the "addicted to decaf" from my banner, because I now drink caff again (just one cup a day, that's my limit).

9 comments:

Phronsie said...

I heard about that show, it looked interesting... I figured there was the now oh-so-typical sex stuff but I wondered what the show in general was about, I saw a commercial and went, "hmmm..."

Anonymous said...

you know, I should really make myself decaf coffee, and then I could have a few cups of it during the day. I always get frustrated that I can only have one form of caffeine a day, that I dont' always stick to my rule. I hope my baby doesn't come out really ADD because I had too much caffeine.

It's funny .... Chris and i got addicted to Weeds, and it's a similar thing. LOTS of sex, and the subject matter is about a suburban mom who sells pot. But it was really in how they presented it ... it didn't really support it in any way, but just showed a lot of the real consequences of her actions on her life ... at the end of the first season (all we've seen), she barely has a relationship with her teenage son because he knows about what she does, and she can't tell him not to do drugs.

anyway, I wouldn't neccessarily recommend it, but I understand your addiction!

MamaBirdEmma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MamaBirdEmma said...

Hubby and I watched "Big Love" reruns this winter and saw the first one from the new season last week. It's like a train wreck we can't tear ourselves from!Interestingly, the raunch lessens as the series continues. It doesn't disappear, but...

I think that you may be able to view the episodes at this website: http://tv-links.co.uk/index.do

You can't download, but watching it on the computer hurts the wallet a lot less!

Bluecanopy said...

Yay Froggy go Froggy!

There's a Mormon mafia? Is that true? How weird if it is...sounds so completely not mormon...but then i don't know much about mormonism. we got netflix just recently. we don;t have our tv either...it's just for movies. Having something interesting to vege out to has been fun since S got here...we're in a netflix season i guess you could say :)

AND thank you SO much for that sweet package! I was surprised and excited to hear the thunk of the box on my doorstep :) You are too kind my friend.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE "Big Love!" -- and it's true, the sex is less, uhm, all over the place as the series goes on.

FWIW, the library where I work owns it, and your nearest library probably does, too. There's probably a line to get it, but it might not take too long.

Lauren S. said...

I always pass Big Love at the video store and look longingly at because it does look so very interesting. But I always force myself to keep walking because of the discussed sex stuff. I wish there was a way to watch rated r movies/media and have a way to "turn off" those scenes and bleep bad words, so you could enjoy the story line without blushing or being disgusted. Your kids could even walk in the room and it might be OK.

Oh and we go to Hollywood video, which does cost an arm and a leg, but we get on this program where you pay $20 a month and can get as many movies as you want any time, two at a time. Haven't tried Netflix yet but have friends that swear by it. I just really like going to the video store for some reason, though. At least it's an excuse for me to get out of the house! :)

Munkee said...

I thought that might be the case. Welcome back to the land of Caff.

And thank you for giving sara and i our first pound of the legendary stumptown. I've been making americanos, pulling shots, and even made some iced "vietnamese" coffee the other night that was very good.

I've said it before, you rock XK!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Katie,

I've been offline for a couple of weeks,so I'm late on this...but I have a *free* way for you to satisfy your addiction without it leading to even more addictions! We like to get TV show DVDs from the library. I just checked the Multnomah County library and sure enough, they have it! Thing with getting it from the library, though, is that they loan you the whole season, and then you have three weeks to watch it (unless there's no one waiting for it, then you can renew as long as you want). We've watched lots of Mash, X-Files, and Joan of Arcadia this way. You might have to put it on hold and wait for awhile if it's popular, though.