About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Nutrition Intuition

Craving ice cream, cheese and hamburgers? Well, sure you are if you're Orthodox (fasting periods will do that to ya). But as it turns out, these fat-filled items might not be as detrimental to one's health as suspected. I'm not "into" reading about the latest and greatest food diet crazes or sensations... but for all of my adult life, I have tried to be conscientious in my food choices, i.e. low fat, high protein. Sugar? Sure! Why not. White flours and white rice? No problemo. A small stash of canned meals and soups in the pantry? Heck, no harm there.

I've been reading "Nourishing Traditions," a book that "challenges the politically correct and diet dictocrats." What is explains is that whole foods are what we should aim for. AND balanced diets. Not a bowl of Kellogs Frosted flakes with a glass of O.J., toast and fruit on the side. But that good fats--namely animal fats-- should be eaten and with a variety of complimentary foods that bring out the enzymes and nutrients so vital for our health.

The book itself looks at the work of Weston A. Price, a dentist who lived in the earlier part of the 20th century (I think) who studied more isolated cultures and tribes around the world. He studied their diets and the direct relation with their health, physical appearance and of course, tooth decay. He found that people groups which fed on tradition foods based on the local food options were far healthier than those who had been exposed to processed, artificial fare. Read more about it here.

Well, I could go on and on about the studies done. But have you ever wondered how primitive peoples who have no access to dental care can have such wide, white and gleaming smiles? Meanwhile little Katie goes off to the dentist, with flouride-enriched water, good dental hygiene habits and all, and yet I walk out with a cavity! Or two! Not to mention slightly crowded teeth and, well, an overbite.
I even look at my husband and his amazingly dazzling smile, perfectly straight teeth and NEVER having had braces and I just attributed it to his family's good genes. Yes, he does have good genes, but there's probably a reason for that. It makes me wonder what his mom ate when she was pregnant with him to assist in such optimal development.


Dr. Price's studies also proved some interested things about facial structures, and how a lot of seemingly common facial traits are actually defects due to poor gestational nutrition. As an artist who loves to draw people, I found this fact very interesting. Furthermore, as a mother I found it very eye-opening and enlightening--YIKES! Nutrition is so very key to the development not only of myself, but of of my child and future children! Your probably rolling your eyes and saying "duh," but this in-depth information has been extremely eye opening for me.

Anyways, it's hard to reflect on this without feeling the need to go into intricate detail... something neither you nor I have the patience for. But if this sort of intrigues you, check out "Nourishing Traditions" at your library or, better yet, buy a copy off of Amazon. I'm not completely 100% "kosher" in my diet, according to this book's studies and suggestions. At least for now. But it's given me a lot of food for thought (har har har) and debunks a lot of "food philosophies" I had acquired over time. And as time goes by, I hope to incorporate more and more of the books amazing recipes into our family menu.

Oh, and by the way, look at these AMAZING babies! So cute, you have to look at them all. Some even remind me of my Froggy, and it makes me wonder if those hamburgers I craved during pregnancy had some positive effects on my pumpkin-head girl....?

No comments: