About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Sunday, January 22, 2012

The makings

Another Beignet skirt from Colette Patterns. I've made three so far (click here for the orange one), although I gave the second one to a friend. For some reason I love this style of skirt! I've cut out another version in a light blue denim (think: the color of Grandpa jeans), and I'll get to it once I get some handmade gifts completed.

I made some belated gifts (December was way too rushed for sewing any presents, ironically), and sent them off just after New Years. Hot pads made from the pattern in "Handmade Home". The craftmanship was a bit lacking on my part, but they are extremely useful :D
Table Runner (front) for my aunt and uncle. I was disappointed with the way the fabric puckered once I machine-quilted it, but then... maybe it adds character? There you go. I'm never lacking in "character." Aunt and Uncle just completed a long-awaited kitchen remodel, and I wanted to help them "celebrate" :) Table Runner (back)

And just for the sake of CUTENESS, I had to add this photo from our shenanigans this evening. My sister and BIL brought their crew over after church. They brought Sadie, their sweet pooch. My kids love dogs, and it takes every ounce of self-control in me to not run out and adopt a dog of our own!

Ponderings: The way God's will works in our lives. It's mind-blowing how even when our will, ideals and plans seem noble, good and wonderful-- they amount to absolutely nothing if it is not God's will. "Well, God, I had great plans for who I'd be and what I'd accomplish and how my family would be..." I blabber, when really it's God who's asking me to lay down my own will and to accept His. To do that which is right in front of me. To remain thankful and present, without expecting any "reward" or biding time until the elusive "something better" comes along. It is excruciating to lay one's will down. At least, it is for me. But I am intrigued by, and yearning to develop faith in the real reward, the True promise for laying down my will: and that is Christ's Peace. Nothing could be better. Now if only I put my words into actions. Lord give me Faith!

On a related note, I was deeply impacted by Father John Oliver's podcast entitled, "What Only God can give." I'm nearly 30-- I should KNOW this by now! ;) Just goes to show: The struggle continues, and God is merciful!

4 comments:

Martha said...

Love seeing your sewing projects...the yellow skirt is beautiful! The hot pads are really nice, so many colours. And the table runner...it's reversible? I bet your aunt loved it. When is your 30th birthday?

Mimi said...

That table runner is full of character and love (and I don't see any puckering)

You are awesome :)

Helenrr said...

I know I sent a thank you, however I have to say, the table runner is a lovely wonderful gift. It was a joyous surprise and special, made with love! I thought the puckers were intentional. So don't apologize! Your character is IN your work and that is what makes it wonderful. :) I took a photo and will email as soon as I can...so you can see how it looks. Practically perfect! Much love to all, Aunt Helen

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work and
Beautiful ponderings! I'll have to check out the podcast....

thanks!!
marm