About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Stockings: Check!


My stockings are all done! Well... for this year at least. Next year I'll add another one to the collection (yay!). Each of the stockings are a little different. The first one I finished was Job's, in our first year of marriage, four Christmases ago. I didn't have a sewing machine, or really, any fabric to my name. Just a thrifted pair of red corduroys, and a nice stack of wool felt. I hand-sewed it all... and I think it will always be a personal favorite, for both senitmental and painstaking purposes. :)

Two weeks ago, at the beginning of Dec., I was eager to get out of my creativity slump. So, I set my priorities low and made something for myself (go figure). I made myself the rather sorry-looking but oddly charming (at least to myself) poinsettia stocking. It was just fun to experiment with "3-D"/ puffy/ quilted applique. I know I am not really following any set rules, in fact I tend to make things up as I go along... but it was a fun experiment nonetheless. AND, at least I have a stocking to hang up in my home (my childhood stocking is at my parents' house).

Once the slump was over with, and the creative juices were rolling once again, I made Vasi's "Saint Lucia" stocking. It was fun to make, but I never know when to "just STOP" with the details, so it was a labor of love!

Susy's "angel" stocking looks a bit like my grandmother did, circa 1989 (minus the glasses). But that makes me like it all the more :) I had fun making the quilted wings and the fold-over arms. Rick-rack is, indeed, my best friend. I found an old stash of rickrack for sale at the local thrift store back in the summer, I think. It was such a great find, I am having a lot of fun with it!

Since I was in a panic to complete the stockings in time for St. Nicholas' Day last week, I had to force myself to put down the embroidery needle at nearly 3:30 AM last Sunday... even if it meant Susy's name was not spelled out in it's entirety. We do call her "Sus" (Sooze), but I fully intend on completing her name (all eight letters of it) one day. One day. When she's old enough to read, perhaps.

And Thursday I got some more craft shopping done, to go towards Christmas gifts. I even managed to pick up some cheap remnants which I do NOT need, but I have a hard time passing up cute, cheap fabric.

So... I'm off to bed, I think.

I hope you are having a not too hectic (hehehe?) Nativity fast so far! I sure wish it was a little less crazy, even with the best of intentions... oh well.

Take care :)

7 comments:

katbat said...

great job! those are beautiful! my kids came home and Pavel said "mom - we saw a play today about santa lucia at school" Maria said "we saw it too! her head was on fire!" :-)

superpaige said...

Oh, how sweet! I love the handmade stockings. I've made some for my family, but they are nothing like those pretty ones you have done. And Hi, I just wandered over here from Mom to the Screaming masses and wanted to say hi.

Lauren S. said...

Adorable!! Way to go!

Mimi said...

Wow, those are beautiful, good job!

Helenrr said...

Katie, those are so wonderful! I love your work :) It has a beautiful creativity and serenity about it-It speaks love :)
Not to mention, what a wonderful heritage for your family!
Love Aunt Helen

Helenrr said...

Katie, Just realized I missed your birthday :( Well, Belated Best wishes for the coming year! God's Blessings...
Love Aunt Helen

Martha said...

Lovely stockings...they mean so much since you sewed them! Each one unique...and a 5th one for next year! Yippee!!! I wish you a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!