Just a quick hello before hitting the kitchen again for a midnight spree of creative madness. Cutting out gingerbread cookies, wrapping gifts, and perhaps a few last-minute sewing creations for loved ones. It's 11:20... maybe I should put on a pot of tea? Caffienated, ever so slightly of course. Maybe I'll pop in a "festive" movie (for some reason I feel like watching "Fiddler on the Roof." Why? Because I can't find my copy of 'White Christmas.") to have in the background while all of the busyness erupts into the wee hours of the morning.
Then again... I'm rather tempted to shrug my shoulders, deem it all "good" and go to bed.
I have many, many rich memories of Christmases past. My parents provided us with lovely, warm family traditions. Now that I'm older and have a family of my own, it's easy to think that Christmas "just isn't the same anymore..." But, seen through the eyes of my children, the excitement once again returns because this is their life, and each year little traditions of our own are etched in time.
One memory I have of our own little family Christmas was about two years ago. Vasi was about 20 months, and we were living in our apartment complex. IT was Christmas Eve, and I had made a ton of cookies. We had some time to kill before rushing off to celebrations and church services, so we decided to deliver some cookie plates to different neighbors. I think most were surprised and happy to be visited on Christmas Eve. One woman, who lived with and took care of her grandchild, invited us inside and we ended up staying and chatting for a while. It was so neat to be invited into someone's own cozy home, and get to know more about them. Especially since I saw her every day.
I'm hoping to deliver Christmas cookies with my family (or whoever wants to come) to whoever is home in the neighborhood tomorrow.
Well, I'm off! Merry Christmas, Christ is Born! Glorify Him!
4 comments:
Katie-I love reading your posts :) I like thinking of you busy in the kitchen way past bedtime, warm with tea, listening to music, creating! I do the same thing-I think it is a tradition to burn the midnight oil at this time ... possibly something to do with children being born in the middle of the night-Jesus probably was :)
I love baking cookies, and got to make about 7 different kinds this year. So exciting lol! Handing them out is a lot of fun, and everyone is so appreciative...I don't think people are going to the time or trouble anymore (which is so sad), but it is worth the time and expense...it's more than just the cookies themselves, it's what is put into them. :)
May your Christmastide be bright and glorious!
Love Aunt Helen
I hope you had a lovely Nativity. You have such a way of writing...and your talents as far as sewing and baking...so many homemade things!
Christ is Born! Cookies sound fantastic!
I'm so very glad you have warm Christmas memories from your childhood.
I distinctly remember being a very young mother of 2-(before you were born) in our first "away from home" Christmas. I had the very thought you did- that now - we have to make our own traditions.
And with time and effort- we did build our very own special traditions.
Perhaps we work too hard to meet joyful expectations- and perhaps
we constantly have to re-focus on the true celebration of our Lord's birth, But it is still the most wondrous thing to instill in our little loved ones the absolute joy of this Holy Season.
My tree is still is glowing and the candles are lit- and I'm savoring it all into the New Year.
Love you
marm
Post a Comment