First, memory eternal for those who died tragically on this day, eight years ago!
We just returned from the zoo today. The girls are tuckered out-- still napping. We went with my godmother and her 2.5 year old little boy. We visited the new lion exhibit today (first day opening!), yet saw no lions. But we did have fun walking and observing and seeing the all of the cool zoo inhabitants.
These past few days have been absolutely gorgeous! Not the obnoxious, stark-white, blinding heat of midsummer, but the golden glazed rustling, bustling heat of early September. For some reason, this kind of heat is less repelling... easier to embrace. Which explains why I didn't mind the prospect of spending this day outdoors, at the zoo, in the middle of the day, at approx. 85+ degrees.
Overall, I am grateful for all things right now. Even with the seemingly constant
preoccupation with figuring out schooling for V. in the years ahead. Even with the overwhelming antics of a 16 month old whose means (preference?) of communication seems to be screeching. Fortunately she knows some signs and a few words... but she just wants to DO and SAY so much more. Climb, cling, grab, nurse, laugh, fall, throw tantrums-- looks like my baby is a bonafide toddler! This too shall pass... I know from experience, now!
So... I am "overwhelmed." I'm not exactly in a comfortable spot with this whole mothering thing. Fortunately, it's constantly a work in progress. Once in a great while a virtual stranger will try to offer advice (in the midst of a public tantrum... GAH!), which can sort of bring me down. But it's sort of like walking up to an obese person and saying "You need to lose weight", only to hear in reply, "Yes... But I've just lost 75 pounds already..." You see? You never know how far someone has come, and how far they plan to go. With God's help and His grace, I hope to improve and progress as a mom. I know I'll never, EVER be perfectly organized, patient, discerning... but by God's grace, I'm slowly (oh so very slowly) finding improvement (even the smallest victories); and always being challenged. So yes, I'm overwhelmed, but in a happy, blessed way. Hehehe.
Susy is here in the room with me, playing with some shoes she just found in a shoe box. Vasi walked up and found some sandals she thought she lost and said, "Wow! My sandals!!! Praise God, I found my sandals!!" Sweet little moments like these are assurances from our merciful God... reminders to stop beating myself up.
For the challenges, for the dog-tired feeling at the end of the day, for the unsolicited (humbling) advice, for the neanderthal-like screeching, for the praises emitted from the mouths of babes, for the sweaty hugs and daily stretching-- praise God for them all!
7 comments:
You're the winner of the coin purse on my blog...congrats! I think I have your address here. I will look. I had my appendix out a few days ago, so things are crazy.
May God help all those Americans who gave their life...and bless us all!
Excellent post, Katie! Everyday is a learning experience in the parenting world. and as the children grow, there are new/different challenges (I am seeing this with my 7 year old).
We were at the zoo on Wed. I was wondering when the lion exhibit would open, now I know! And now I have to figure out when to take at least little p.
I am always in admiration of your calm, loving, and patient attitude toward you little sweet peas, even in the midst of an all out 'tantrum.' Excellent point that we don't know how far those around us have come, how much they have already struggled!!
I love your honesty. Thank you.
xoxox, One of the "The Rest of Us [Imperfect Moms]"
Love your thoughts and reflections! Thanks for sharing them. You are an amazing mother, and I've always thought you were very patient....more patient than I'll ever be with my kids :) I love what V. said about the sandals, how sweet!
I also am amazed and honored to know you and you parent fabulously, but I know the day to day worries, stresses and ugh.
Hugs.
It's probably good to remember what young momma's need to hear from US when we see their little families at the store one day. When ours are out of the nest and we have it all "figured out" :-D
I'll be praying for you!
Love,
Analene
Sweet post, Xenia. What a blessed journey!
Post a Comment