












The pictures above are in reverse order. Starting from the bottom, you will find photos of our trip in progress. The initial beach scenes might seem a bit gloomy .... we forced ourselves to stop and cool off (temperamentally) at the beach once we realized we'd been traveling nearly 2 hours in the wrong direction of our vacation destination. After a late lunch/ early dinner, we stumbled around the misty beach... cold and trying to gain perspective... mainly by laughing at ourselves.
We made it to our destination around 10 pm. Job had a business trip and so the kids and I, along with my brother, tagged along. Why? BeCOZZZZZ.... it was a unique opportunity to visit my hometown! Which is a place I don't get to visit very often because a) I'm a homebody and b) my parents don't live there anymore, and neither do many of my friends, so I don't have much excuse to go there.
I hadn't been there since 2004. I've gone through many changes since then... made and re-made my home in many new places. But lately I've been wanting to back and revisit my past... to remind myself that my childhood and adolescence were not a dream.
I also wanted to take lots of pictures for painting inspiration. I've been a dry well when it comes to painting ideas... haven't painting with acrylics and canvas since college!
So while Job worked, my brother and I took the kids to some old sights... beaches and capes and gardens. Even our old elementary school! Sights that we saw on a daily basis, yet took for granted. Although I always enjoy traveling with Job, it was nice to be with my brother and to reminisce to our hearts content without boring one another.
The southern Oregon coast is one of the most beautiful places you'll ever see. I know my home town is kinda podunk and a bit rough around the edges, but it was a good place to grow up. I really, really miss living near the beach!!!
14 comments:
I LOVE the Oregon coast! one of those places that I feel like I nned to see once a year at least. Nice photos too!
Love the photos !
The mist was very atmospheric; we have days like that in my coastal town too :-)
I agree with you 100%...we lived near the east coast most of my life...in Ohio, we're not just a weekend trip away. I love the photos of the misty ocean and you and your girls on the blanket!
I too love the Oregon coast. It is nice in any weather.....even misty and cold:)
Sometimes Petros and I get in the car and just start driving....we end up in some strange places, but its always an adventure!!
Forgot to mention, your town couldnt have been as podunk as Boring, Oregon......(yes thats the name)we all love the towns we grew up in, something always draws us back to them.
i miss my hometown too, & especially the misty beaches! i forget where you hail from though, i'm from up north in astoria. :)
Ha, I thought I recognized those photos...hmmm, were the foggy beaches near Florence :) When we were in Florence, EVERY time it looked like that!
Love the photos and the description of the trip-know how you feel :) I always love Cb/nb -but maybe that's 'cause y'all lived there...
God bless and happy painting!
Love Aunt Helen
P.S. I grew up in Carmel-by-the-Sea, another foggy coastal town. We didn't notice the fog, of course. It's beautiful in any weather...
H
P.S. Susan, I've been in Boring-love the town names we run across. ZigZag's my fav thought (not to mention my mom lived there as a girl, in the house by the zag :D
Beautiful photos!
Love it!!! Was waiting for a picture of 3218....did you take one? If so I'd love to see it! I hope to get back there someday. So many memories....sometimes not sure if I'm ready to deal with them!!!! I'm sure it was so nice to visit!
Love the coast. Do not go often enough, that's for sure. Maybe I'm taking my sister (katbat) in Dec. when she visits because she "needs to see it once a year"?!?!
Xenia - Is that really your name? I love it!
Your drawings and water colors are charming; I'd love to see more:-)
I love to draw pen and ink too and would love the time and space to leave water colors out to dabble with.
I think you might be right about the angel... ;-)
Really though, even the angels must have been amazed, and I KNOW the Lord was there! He had my attention:-)
Love,
Analene
It sounds like you guys had a nice break from everything! We just went to the beach three weeks ago, and it was really nice but too rushed. I got your message, sorry I wasn't able to make it to the St. John's event. I miss you and hope you're all doing well!
Nice photos . . . Sunset Bay or somewhere around Cape Arago, right?
As a one-time student at OIMB, I really miss that part of the coast.
- Eric John
Post a Comment