About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Friday, November 14, 2008

Never buy spaghetti sauce again. Promise?



I'm no gourmet. BUT. I do cook, and I've learned a few tricks here and there along the way.

When I first started cooking for myself, I often bought Prego. It was uber convenient. Cooking on the stove top was my way of making it "extra fancy" (as opposed to heating it in the microwave). This was during college. Obviously.

After I got married, I stopped using Prego. Mainly because I realized it contained corn syrup. Uh!? So I switched to the cheapest marinara sauce available at Trader Joe's. It came in a little glass jar, I think it's called "Nonna's Recipe." It was just a matter of time before I realized that the ingredients listed on the label were all available in my very own kitchen. Yowza! How 'bout that?

And so... I'm going to show you how to do it. Seriously. It's quick. It's easy. I won't lie-- it's not as easy breezy as opening a jar of Prego. But if you make it often enough (and if you're Orthodox and heading into the Advent fast, you will), then it becomes second nature and super easy peasy.

Friday is good day to make spaghetti. Mainly because it's a chance to use whatever veggies are leftover in the fridge for spaghetti sauce. This week, it was just mushrooms for me. But fresh peppers, tomatoes, chopped zucchini or carrots; these are all great options.

1. Saute your vegetables. Here you see my mushrooms sizzling in some oil (oil can be omitted and you can skip the oil/saute stage).
2. Oh. Get your water boiling, while you're at it. :) 3. In a food processor, combine a 28 oz. can of tomatoes (diced or whole), garlic (as many cloves as you like), and a 1/4 c. of tomato paste. Process until the garlic looks minced.
(tomato paste)



Atta kid.

4. Add the tomato mix to the sauteed goodies on your stovetop. Top with herbs and spices of your choice. I used onion powder (since I can't stand real onions, but I don't mind the flavor), dried basil, dried oregano and ground pepper. Fresh herbs, a splash of red wine, a dash or two of hot sauce or (if you like it sweet) a bit of brown sugar are also other tasty additions.

5. Stir it up (cue reggae music) over medium heat.

6. Once the noodles are done, drain and add to the tomato sauce skillet. Tonight I was agast to discover that my pasta stash was quite low. This is a first. EVER. Somewhere in Genoa a grave is rumbling. I've been using primarily brown rice noodles lately, but I only had about 1/4 a package left. So I added some forgotten capellini and fetuccini remnants (now I need to go stock up on pasta again). HENCE, the pasta mishmash.

7. Once the noodles are well coated with the sauce, serve it warm to your family.

He likes it!

Now. You don't need to follow my suggestions precisely. But I hope I've shown you how simple homemade spaghetti sauce can be. All you really need is a little food processor to make the best marinara sauce ever. So, never buy spaghetti sauce again. Okay? Okay? Promise?

This makes a very good pizza sauce, when slightly altered. Use a 15 oz. can of tomatoes instead of a 28 oz. Use a small can of tomato paste (or, if you don't want it as "tangy", use just half). Add plenty of garlic and spices. Blend it all together, and you're good to go!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've been making my own spaghetti sauce for many years now, and my family prefers it. I usually buy tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes, possibly adding some diced tomatoes, mushrooms, etc... I prefer using my own stuff. It's less expensive and I control what's in it.

And I agree. Corn Syrup - BLECH!!!

Christina said...

I add cinnamon to mine (that's very greek- cinnamon and tomato sauce). I have always made my own spaghetti sauce, my mom would cringe if i ever bought anything from a jar:)
I save the leftover sauce (sometimes even freeze it) and us it for pizza. i make the kids pita pizzas- use Alexi's pita bread (white or whole wheat). top with sauce and cheese and put in oven until cheese melts. a very easy lunch!
now, go buy some pasta!!! (i'm completely out of my quinoa pasta stash so I have to order that online:).

Lauren S. said...

that's so funny, on friday night i made my own marinara for the first time. our progression from prego to tjs to homemade was identical. very funny!

not to brag or anything, but i loved my sauce! i'll have to try your recipe sometime. jason loves spaghetti and has requested that during fast periods it be made once a week. :)

Mimi said...

My Dh makes our own, and I agree, it tastes very yummy, and I don't buy the jars ever (and haven't for years)

The only thing I miss is cool jars!

Anonymous said...

very helpful -- and I like the picure of Job!

Known Alias: Ingrid Tuesday said...

This is great and all, but I was slightly disappointed to discover that this is the only entry under the category "but the chef is pretentious." I hope to see more pretense from you in the future.

Liz in Seattle said...

I use a recipe from Cook's Illustrated: saute some garlic, when it's fragrant add 1 14oz can Muir diced tomatoes, and 1 28oz can Muir crushed tomatoes. Heat to simmer, and add a pinch of sugar at the end. That's it...ready in about 20 minutes.

I also will add crumbled beef, mushrooms, a sploosh of red wine (that's a technical term, BTW). Whatever suits.

Oh, and whole grain pasta, and REAL Parmegiano Reggiano run through the hand grater. I'm such a food snob ;-)