About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sun strung high,
lone bead in the sky
Beating heat onto and through
our heavy sweaters, jackets, coats
We shed them, our second skins of autumn

Farm land and pumpkins,
kettle corn and sticky sweet sisterhood.
Two by two, our goslings totter,
cling, laugh, cry, crunch.

My middle sister stands tallest
and her belly is swollen,
throbbing for the first time
with confined, coiled, cozy life.

We smile at her middle,
pronounced and round like the gourds
the children are cradling.
And she says she'll miss us;
I tell her not to think of it,
but now I see, she was right.
It all went by far too fast.

8 comments:

Laura said...

It sounds like a lovely day! My brother, sister and law and nieces live five hours away. We keep planning on video chatting via the computer, but it hasn't quite worked out yet...hopefully soon!

I think it would be a good option for keeping up with little ones, though, since they can both see and hear.

Anonymous said...

Katie

Your poem paints a beautiful picture
of a precious time. (Sniff-Sniff)- I smile and wipe a few tears- with a grateful heart for "sisterhood" and "cousinhood" in bloom.

Love
marm

Mimi said...

This is such an amazing poem, thank you.

Anonymous said...

As if leaving Portland wasn't hard enough....this poem makes the tears flow some more. My heart aches that I can't be there to have more special times with my family, but for some reason, God knows this is best. Thanks for making the most of the time we DID have together! I love you so very much!!!

--The missing sister

Bluecanopy said...

oh so sweet. sisters are wonderful...where does the "swollen middle sister" dwell?

Martha said...

Is your family all nearby? Most of our family is pretty near...and that makes me happy! I actually dreamt that my sister who just got married and moved to Canada found out she was pregnant. I miss her.

Known Alias: Ingrid Tuesday said...

Lovely!

Helenrr said...

Katie,
I love your poem and picture :) It is so sweet and precious. I hope to see pictures when we come up! What a lovely day...
Hugs and Kisses,
Aunt Helen