Oops. It's Sunday, isn't it? I told you I'd have my "Best Compliment" entry on Friday. And you'd be right to assume that "Friday" meant last Friday. I didn't mean to build up the suspense or drop the ball. Gee... now I feel sheepish. Honestly I was hoping to find the original compliment (which was sent to me via e-mail about 6 years ago) to share here. Oh well. On I go...
Basically, the compliment that took me most by surprise (and still gives me the warm fuzzies) was when someone told me I had a nice smile. No, I believe the word he used was "disarming." I must admit, I had to look up the word. Disarming? "Tending to allay suspicion or hostility; winning favor or confidence: a disarming smile." (thefreedictionary.com). Once I read that definition, I was again inundated with the warm fuzzies.
The person who paid me this compliment was a very well-known senior on campus during my freshman year in college. I only knew him as an acquaintance. Which made the compliment all the more unexpected. And although he was cute, he did have a serious girlfriend, so I didn't take it as anything. He told it to me via a very platonic yet encouraging e-mail. He ended it by telling me that my smiles are a gift from God, and to never let the evil one take them away.
I'm a smiler, by habit. In high school someone told me I smiled "way too much." I'm sure to some random people I come across as a wacko... "Why the heck is that creep smiling at me?" That first year of college, I wandered around campus smiling (with or without realizing it) at strangers. I was surprised to hear that my smiling actually "reached" someone, enough to move him to share such a compliment with me.
Throughout our day-to-day and week-to-week routines, we probably encounter familiar folks who always make us smile or bring us a little cheer. If it's not too weird or awkward, consider complimenting that person this week. Someone who's smile/helpfulness/style/courtesy/latte-making abilities/humor you've secretly admired for a long time.
Okay... sorry if this is uncharacteristically sappy. Every so often it just slips out, though. :D Have a good week, everyone.
9 comments:
That's awesome! You do have a lovely smile!
You do have a charming smile! I like the part about not letting the evil one take it away from you.
Thanks for the encouragement to compliment others. I know of at least two people who have gotten a lot of emotional grief from me lately who could use a compliment instead of a complaint.
Katie
you genetically come from a long line of "smilers". that's not a bad thing either:
there have been so many benefits documented scientifically
that smiling is not only beneficial to others, but also endorphins kick in for the "smiler", for a "feel-good" hormonal sense of well being. Fake smiling doesn't count- but the genuine one is a very healthy practice.
I have to tell you a funny story. When I was around 13- I went to summer camp at Mt. Hermon, CA.
My first cabin counselor ALWAYS smiled- and she made a good impression on me. I wanted to be just like her- so I tried to smile all the time like her. It hurt my mouth- the smiling muscles hadn't been excercised much- those early
adolescent years!! But I think of her every now and then- even 40 years later- and remember her beautiful smile.
( by the way- when you hit middle age- smiling has benefits too.
Meryl Streep has been quoted as saying her smile is the only facelift she's had!!
But Proverbs says it best:
A merry heart doeth good like medicine!!
Keep spreading those smiles- the world needs them!
Love
marm
Awww, what a true comment! :)
It is true...you have a calming countenance and your smile makes people feel acknowledged, appreciated, and loved. I am curious to know who the senior was who told you this?
--christy
That's fabulous. And you DO have a wonderful smile :). AND you make really good hummus! Speaking of which, I still have your tupperware ;).
i smile at complete strangers too, and sometimes i'll even get a smile or two back.
don't worry about the comment you left on my blog, it's all right. :) i actually do have some oil from st. john, we got some when we visited him in san fransico.
As I watched my daughters dance during their ballet recital (the minority, without makeup), I noticed that the thing that made the dancer most beautiful was whether she was SMILING or not (not makeup)!
Well, it is obvious from these comments that your "disarming" smile exudes warmth and kindness - how very beautiful, indeed.
Post a Comment