About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Monday, July 07, 2008

Froggie goes a-pickin'

A quick blog, and then it's off to bed!

Yikes. I have a confession. I haven't been to Confession since before Pascha. I am really looking forward to going tomorrow. Gotta get some stuff of my chest, you know? :)

Our Fourth of July was spent with my side of the family. We ate. V. stayed up way too late that night... but we couldn't really get in our car and leave because that would have disrupted the neighborhood Firework Extravaganza. Oh well. I think she's still getting caught up on her sleep a little. Thank goodness for Monday's, right? Seriously, Monday is "the other sabbath/day of rest" for me. It's really the time when the girls and I recover from the irregular schedules that the weekend brings. And since I don't like to fight spontaneity too much, I take it in the chin... but not without it's consequences. Hence, Mondays are a day for us all to lay low and just slog.

We picked fresh raspberries yesterday at a local farm. We pass a few farms on the way home from church, and we stopped to buy a pint of raspberries. Guess what? They were $3.75 for a teeny pint! So we got a bucket and set out for the fields. Forty-five minutes later, we had our bucket brimming (thanks to Job's superior skills... he picked blueberries one summer when he was 12 or so and got $100 for the entire summer's work. That's like, a dollar an hour!). Vasi was oh-so-cute in her church clothes, taking great interest in the berries... She was not too picky in her choices, whatever she picked (be it unripe, ripe or overripe), she ate!

I wish I had had my camera.

We came home and our neighbor (who also has raspberry AND blueberry bushes) told us were free to pick as many berries as we wanted. Oh! How nice! So we picked more later in the day.

Okay, that's all for now. I hope you're all having a good summer so far! It's going by at a frighteningly rapid pace...!

8 comments:

jenny baker said...

raspberries sound so good right now! they're so refreshing to eat when it's hot outside. if you get tired of just eating them, i suggest using them to sweeten iced tea. soooo good!

Anonymous said...

how much for the bucket?

Lauren S. said...

YUM! Sounds fun!

Mimi said...

Yum! I love fresh berries.

Xenia Kathryn said...

Oh! I forgot to mention. The bucket full of berries was only $6! :)

Anonymous said...

NICE! :) I want to go berry picking.

tinkers555 said...

forgive my random comment, i need your phone number! but wanted you to know that i got dresses for v and stella to wear at mac's wedding. it's from gymboree, light blue with navy stripes at the bottom ("stripe hem dress", you could find a pic online). also got her and stella cute matching barrettes, which v certainly doesn't have to wear if you don't want :) my mom has the stuff and will bring it to gail.

love to you all!
sarah

Iconography Girl said...

Berry picking (at a farm or your neighbor's!), sounds so great!! I thought of you tonight when I paid $6.88/2 pounds of local raspberries at FM -- on sale, and not even organic! I almost didn't buy them, but I felt I had to give my kids as much of a 'true taste of summer' as I could, even if it meant leaving other things on the shelf at the store. :(

I can't imagine going berry picking with our kids now, but some day... The paper had an article in Food Day about making Lemon Curd, and additional recipes for using it to make some kind of "berry fool". It sounds awesome!

Yes, it does feel like summer is almost over. Someone once told me that after the 4th of July weekend the summer flies by. The older I get, the truer that is.

Having said that, we have as much time between today and September as we had from the end of May to today. That is still a lot of time to enjoy the blue skies!!!