One last thing. Just a quick blog, okay?
Today I dropped two garbage bags of stuff off at a Goodwill donation spot. It was just an express donation "drive thru" kind of place, there was no retail store attached. Which was intentional; it makes no sense to buy MORE stuff while I'm trying to get rid of stuff during this moving process. Right?
But at this donation center, I noticed there was a little wooden kitchen JUST SITTING THERE. It had probably just been donated. It was perfect. It was very simple and "vintage"-- probably from the 70s or 80s. It was made of wood. It reminded me of something you'd see in the kid's nursery at a really old Baptist church. Random connotation... but hey, I've seen my share of dusty old nurseries in my day. Back to the kitchen. It just looked quality. Not overwhelmingly colorful or decorative; but just plain enough to add personal embellishments.
I stared longingly at the kitchen set. I got out of the car and asked the personnel on staff if I could please, please buy it. I knew that the odds were against me. And they were. "Sorry, you'll have to wait for it to hit the stores." OHHHH!!! Which one of the millions of Goodwills in the area will it be at? Who knows. I should have pulled out my check book and told them to name their price.... even though I wouldn't have paid more than $40 for it... okay, maybe $60 (blush).
Did I mention it was perfect? Maybe, maybe I'll luck out in the weeks ahead and come across it at Goodwill. Or maybe I'll drive back to the donation center tomorrow with some distant cousins and ask again, "nicely." Just joking.
5 comments:
i'm going to assume you meant to buy this adorable kitchen for your little ones, 'cause for a second there, reading your longing description, i was a little thrown off. :)
i loved the little kitchens with the plastic canned food and fruit, which as i remember was in the church nursery. i remember placing the plastic banana in the plastic frying pan to make dinner for my toys. nuthin' like fried bananas after a long day!
that is very funny. i lol'ed a little.
i hope you find it.
Hi Xenia, I was so happy to run across your blog! So many Orthodox moms are showing up lately! God bless you every step of your pregnancy! Please visit my blog at www.orthodoxmom.blogspot.com!
I laughed out loud when I went to the "distant cousins" link, and I really needed to laugh today. (I have a sick baby). THANK YOU! and I hope you get a kitchen.
Did you end up getting a little kitchen? I had a friend who put one together for almost no $$ -- but the amount of "sweat" and time was more than I would ever have. She found a very small chest of drawers that someone didn't want (side of the road?). Then she had someone carve a cirle in the top and dropped in a large metal mixing bowl she had to act as a sink. Finally, she found some old faucet fixture or maybe just rigged something up, I can't remember.
So, in all of your free time settling in your new digs and getting ready for #2, I'm sure you can whip up a play kitchen!
xoxoR
Post a Comment