About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Friday, March 21, 2008

Last week I completed the Little House series. I'd hoped to finish it by Clean Monday, but not quite. Almost. So then, the other night, I picked up my copy of The Screwtape Letters and started to read it again. I hadn't read it since college. I remember being so astounded by the spiritual realities in this book. So I figured it'd be appropriate for Lenten reading.

The problem with this book? It's too good. I want to highlight or underline every other sentence. I want to share it with others. Admittedly, this book makes me want to cut out entire paragraphs, fold up the text, and send it anonymously to someone who I feel could benefit from it. THAT'S NOT a good thing. You know, here I am reading about strategizing demons and their methods of spiritual attack, and meanwhile I'm rubbing my chin, nodding my head as my own personal demon eggs me on, making sure I apply none of the information to myself, but self-righteously dwell on the faults of others.

So this time around, I'm trying to read it with more care and more watchfulness.

In other news, I just want to share that Job and I closed two days ago on the house! Praise God! We will move sometime in mid-April. Thank you all for your prayers and your encouragement. You were right, it really does happen! I was getting so down and discouraged, too.
This is just after the new floors were installed. We still have a long way to go, hence, the time gap between our close-date and move-in. But thanks to friends (like Heather!) and family, we have the walls painted! :) Above photo: My mother-in-law, Job (looking funny), my dad and V. admiring the finished floors.

7 comments:

Mimi said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Welcome to home-ownership!

And, I do also like that book.

Phronsie said...

My parents have floor like that, it's really nice!

YAY for a house, I hope it's our turn next, LOL! Now we can pray for that. (Hubby says we'll probably be living with his dad for FIVE YEARS, during which time we're supposedly going to have another baby... Right...) I'm happy for you, YAY!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yay! I was wondering if you had closed yet. I'm pretty sure that the neighbors think Mike and I are part-time peeping toms from all the times we've walked over there ;). We kept missing you! But we've peeked in through the windows and the floor looks awesome ;).

jenny baker said...

i'm SO happy for you guys! michael and i hope to buy a house soon too, if the Lord wills it!

Susan Sophia said...

Congratulations! Glory to God!

I feel that I've missed so much. Our PC died and I lost all my bookmarks so haven't checked in for quite some time.

Bluecanopy said...

hooray!!

Lauren S. said...

I loved that book. It's definitely on my re-read list.

CONGRATULATIONS on your new house. That's such a great feeling, to have a spot on earth that is yours. Wonderful news!

Also, thanks for the great link to your sisters blog. I love it. So inspiring!