About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Monday, January 07, 2008

Hair: Can't live with it, CAN live without it.

And I pat myself on the back for this feat in toddler hairstyling! *sigh* (sorry it's sideways)



This month I read an article entitled "How Not to Obsess About your Hair." The author of the article writes of the devastating haircut she received just days before her wedding. Due to some miscommunication with her hairdresser, her new cut resulted in a much-too-short cropped 'do. She describes the great weeping and gnashing of teeth she underwent in the days before her wedding, as any bride would do. Especially after having her average "bob" now shorn to a length of 1-inch from her scalp. But after the wedding, she realized that she kinda liked the her new hair cut. In her conclusion, she shared that after several years, she still wears the same "botched" haircut that she'd grown to love.

I've always had a hankerin' to crop my hair in such a way. To have the most low-maintenance hairstyle on earth. To be able to roll out of bed and still look stylish! Just think! But I'm terrified of making such a drastic cut. I'm afraid I'd look too masculine. I'm afraid of having to go to the hairstylist at 6-week intervals for trims. Not so easy on the checkbook... What if I didn't like it? Growing it out would take FOREVER, and it wouldn't be fun. And so you see, I've talked myself out of doing it for the past 7+ years. Seriously, I've been debating it since high school.

Then another part of me just wants to grow my hair out really long. Just be a hippy about it and let it flow everywhere. Have fun with it, wear it in buns or braids. Wallow around with waist-length (ok, maybe that not that long) wavy hair and pretend I'm Juliet or Guinevere. It's hard not to feel beautiful with long, luxurious locks (ha ha, ho ho, how vain I do sound).

Yet, I'm constantly stuck somewhere in-between. No matter how hard I try, I just can't communicate my hair-desires to the hairstylists I go to. I draw pictures, I bring photos, I do my best to describe. And yet I always walk away slightly disappointed. How about you? How's your luck with stylists? Or have you just found "the one" who understands you perfectly? If I had tons of money, I'd go to a trendy boutique and have a renowned stylists with a name like Rolfe cut my hair... but I have no such luck :)

Hair has been a battle of mine for as long as I can remember. When I was about 4 or 5, I remember trying the patience of my always-even-tempered mother. I recall a stubborn me, a fresh new bottle of Johnson and Johnsons "No More Tears" detangling spray (maybe it was the underdeveloped, 80s formula, but the product'ss promises of no tears were without merit; there were tears!), a frustrated Mom, and a Goody faux-wood hairbrush that had a handle when we started the detangling escapade, and did not afterwards. I'll let you guess how the handle broke off.

Now I'm 20 years older, I still detest my hair, I still hate brushing it. AND not only that, I'm the mother of a little girl (soon to be 2! hint hint) who has beautiful golden hair... hair that sticks up in the back all of the time!!! A few weeks ago I realized that her hair was this way because there were indeed five or six little "dreadlocks" beginning to develop. Will she let me comb out her matted tresses with the help of detangler spray? No way. I'm left now with three options: 1) either crop HER hair off, 2) snip off the offending dreads and let her have a few "bald" patches, or 3) wrestle her to the ground and comb out these intricately woven tangles. Gee, they all sound so fun. When it comes to hair-grooming rituals, I will be sending my daughters to their aunts, since I have nothing to offer in that department.

7 comments:

Laura said...

My hair has always been an interesting part of my personage. It's naturally curly and I no longer fight it. For a while, I even cut it myself and sometimes still do if money's tight. It straightened out at a lot after the birth of my second child but is now kinking back up again. Talk about a weird "do"

When my Ana's hair gets too tangly, I find that a little bit of conditioner actually helps get the tangles out more effectively than detangling spray. Have Daddy or a video distract her while your working at it. Good luck!

Laura N.

Laura said...

P.S.

WE start with a wide tooth comb for the de-tangling.

Lauren S. said...

ditto on wide tooth combs. how about in the bath, lots of conditioner, comb it out then?

hair. hair. hair. i'm bummed about my hair almost all of the time. i over dyed it and now it's so stripped that every time I dye it, it just washes out so I'm stuck with much lighter ends than my roots. for now i'm just living with it. i went long though because i can always pony tail it and you need less trims.

i've done the very short almost a boy cut. i was 18, i think, and i hated it. i felt like a boy. i had the wrong face for it. not high enough cheek bones.never again. i would totally do a cute bob again with bangs though. that was my favorite, but for now, the upkeep is too much time and money. :(

sensitive subject.

love the label of vanity that you gave this post. he he

Known Alias: Ingrid Tuesday said...

I spent my entire childhood with long hair (it was mandated) and so the first thing I did when I turned 18 was smoke a cigarette. No. I got my hair cut REALLY short. Fortunately I had a great stylist who made it look fabulous. She's expensive. I haven't gone back to her in three years, hence the long hair these days. But I absolutely loved having short hair. It's really nothing to be afraid of. :-)

Mimi said...

I'm with Laura, I have naturally curly hair and have had a life long love/hate relationship.

Anonymous said...

Kristin here, from St. Johns ...

I once had my hair cut so it was about an inch long on top (fuller in back). At first it was waaay too short and Manly and I covered it with a scarf. Then I liked it for a while. Then I missed my hair a LOT. So I grew it back, a very painful and humbling experience.

I've worn it all lengths and styles and am now doing as you say, going all hippie or whatever and just letting it grow long. But, though long and casual is fine at home (and yep, the husband likes it), it just doesn't cut it when I'm out and about. That's a big reason I'm wearing hats or something on my head most of the time. My braids and buns tend to fall apart so quickly and require way too much attention. The berets, etc., keep things neat and they're easy.

I totally agree. Can't live with it or without it. :-)

Phronsie said...

I'd love to go to a hairstylist who tells me what would look good. Like on those shows where they make you over and the stylist is all "And we're going to do this to your hair"...