About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

My unfinished business

I've learned that faith is a lot like reading a book. Let's say you've been given a spectacular book. In fact, you've been wanting to read it for a long time, and each year you've had every intention to read it through and through. And you read the first chapter, and it's amazing. You're raving about it to all of your friends. You get to the second and third chapter in a short amount of time-- and within hours, days, you're halfway through the book.

But then, well, "life" happens. You get busy and you don't have as much time to read... but you still LOVE the book. You have every intention to jump back into the storyline... once, of course, you can find the free time to actually sit down and read. A few days pass, a few weeks pass. You stare longingly at the book, as it sits on your coffee table, and you assure yourself that you'll get back into it one of these days. It doesn't take long, though, before it becomes a piece of clutter, and you move it to the bookshelf where it will sit for who knows how long, unattended. Hmm.

How many books do I have on my bookshelf? Lots. How many have I actually finished reading, front to back? A small percentage, I believe. And most of these books are what Iwould call "amazing." I couldn't put them down, you know? But a few days of neglect have me reconsidering my devotion to the book. Eehh.... it's not THAT great... I already know what's going to happen... I'm at a slow point in the book and it's just no fun anymore.... it makes me uncomfortable... the editing is atrocious.... And the excuses run on.

Faith is no good unless it is exercised daily. Just like reading a book is no good unless you finish it, and unless you're taking the time and energy to read, you're not going to finish it. I have so many unfinished books waiting to be completed. But I've lost interest in them. In the same way, my relationship with Christ is neglected when I'm too selfish to take the time and energy to pray, to read words of wisdom, to take time for others and love.

No matter how much money I've spent on a book; no matter how excited I am to read it; no matter how thrilled I am by the author's words; no matter how great my intentions are in reading the book through and through-- the book is useless unless I've taken the time to read it front to back.

Here's to a new year of successful reading. Here's to another chapter in my spiritual journey-- may it be completed and contemplated to the fullest. Lord have mercy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your analogy Katie! I could relate to so many of your "parallels" of faith and book reading. Both of which I can let slide like slowly but surely. This weather is PERFECT book reading weather.....instead of complaining about it- I should just take advantage of all of this indoor opportunity!....Thanks for your nudge!!

Mimi said...

Wow! What a great post, XK! I can totally relate.

And, like I make time to read, I need to make time to live my faith.

Christina said...

great post... made me stop and check our bookshelf for how many books I have not finished, yet. I can see the bookmarks poking up from the top of the books. Paul is much better at finishing things that he starts than I am (and that applies to all areas of his life, not just bookreading).

and then your blog reminded me of all the different ideas i have of how to better spend my time (looking at volunteer work (ha) or working on that project for Sunday School that I keep postponing).

kristinsdóttir! said...

GREAT analogy, Katie!

(I thought I was the only one around who sometimes reads half a book (LOVING it) and then just, well, sets it aside...)