About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Thursday, February 25, 2010


(Photograph unrelated to topic, other than the subject on the right, whose bum this post largely revolves around. This is one photo of our "Valentine's Day" trip to the zoo we made two Saturdays ago. It was a little gray, but we had a great time and despite the presence of the umbrella--ahem, parasol-- we managed to avoid the rain).

Hmmm... here's a change of subject that you probably didn't see coming!

Yesterday I made the switch back to cloth diapers. My dear MIL took pity on me back in my first trimester and bought me a pack of disposables. I was only planning on taking a brief hiatus... after all, wasn't I committed cloth diaper mom? Would my "Green Mama" card be revoked if I used more than one box of disposables? Well, each time I tried to get back into the groove of CDing, Susy would immediately get a bad, bad welt-like rash on her bum... a rash that would disappear just as quickly once disposables were used again. Yikes! Plus, my potty-trained big girl would get upset each time I left diapers to "soak" in the toilet "Mommy! You have to get the diapers out!" Clearly she was grossed out, and I guess I couldn't blame her. So between welts and early pregnancy and demanding 3 year olds, I gave into the fact that, for this "season in life," we'd go back to disposables. And though I hate to admit it, it's been an easy, breezy six months, at least in regards to diapering. More garbage? Yes. But easy.

So now, over six months later, I'm trying to get back into the groove of cloth diapering. I have new detergent, a new approach to washing them uber-efficiently, and a renewed desire to be a little kinder to the earth (and for V.'s--well, ALL of our sakes-- a commitment to rinse diapers ASAP--no more diapers "soaking" in the toilet). Plus, I'm hoping the transition back to cloth will help my soon-to-be 2 year old potty-train a little easier down the road (don't worry, I'm not rushing her). And of course I'd like to get back into the groove before Baby Boy is born.

Now I have a pile of prefolds and some Bummis wraps... none of which are really "working" for me anymore. Prefolds can be bulky on my very mobile toddler. She's been known to be seen with a large remnant of prefold diaper sticking out of the back of her pants. And the Bummis wraps are EXCELLENT, but the velcro has become rather weak and comes undone all of the time. What a pain! And yet, with all of these materials that I've already invested in, I can't really justify purchasing expensive Fuzzi Bunz or a fancy set of AIO diapers.

So I've thought about sewing my own AIO (that's All in One) or pocket diapers out of materials I have around the house (flannel sheets, my prefolds, old t-shirts, rain coat material, unused fleece from my sewing stash). Because really, no matter how cute store-bought cloth diapers are, after a full year or two of use, they all look faded and a bit dingy. Still plenty useful, of course, but not nearly as bright and cute as they once were.

One cost-efficient way to fix my Bummis is to purchase some APIX (I think that's the high quality velcro?) and replace the weak velcro with it.

I've also thought about sewing my Bummis wraps shut so that they are more like a vinyl diaper pull-on cover (sort of like the ones used in the "old" days) than a velcro wrap. Or, I've thought about sewing some pre-folds and fleece into an old Bummi wrap and and making it an AIO. Who knows?

Any sewing, cloth-diapering mamas out there with ideas? I know there are lots of internet resources and links, but that gets a little overwhelming and a lot of the sites just link to the same stuff. But if you have any insights or site recommendations that you've found helpful, please pass them this way!

Can you tell I'm starting to nest?

12 comments:

Known Alias: Ingrid Tuesday said...

Here's my idea: Take my Bum Genius diapers. I'm done with them, and they are just sitting in a box in the closet waiting for a good home.

Michelle M. said...

That is great that you are getting back to cloth diapering! I love it :) I cannot sew, so I have no tips for you, but I have seen many sites online that offer help (and lots of cute fabrics). Good luck! I hope that you won't experience any more diaper rashes. My daughter is the complete opposite. As soon as we put her in disposables, she breaks out into a rash. Good luck!

Lauren S. said...

After the honeymoon of cding, I think I'm in a love/hate period. It just adds to an already insane amount of washing. So I go back and forth. And the diapers I have are really getting pretty funky. But WOW, looks like you should jump on the Bum Genius dipes up above!!

Xenia Kathryn said...

Ingrid! It's you! Wow... you are quite generous. Is your wee one potty trained now???

Thanks so much! How should we arrange a hand off? Drop a line here or shoot me an e-mail at the address on my art blog.

You're awesome! It's great to hear from you!
~
Michelle M.,
Thanks for your comment! I've visited your blog several times, it's nice of you to stop in say hello :D

~
Lauren,
Yes... our CD honeymoon must be over! hehehe. Now's the time to show the world just what I'm made of...! Do I have what it takes? I don't know. We'll see!

elizabeth said...

could you use the big child-safe saftey pins when the velcro wears down? I know my Mom used cloth diapers with these... :)

Mimi said...

I am a CD (but disposable overnight and whilst traveling) mom, who doesn't sew, so all I can offer is hugs.

And, that photo is amazing! I want to scrap it!

Mimi said...

(I should note, naturally, that my diapering days are long over)

Amy said...

Hi Katie! Looks like you can get some Bum Genius Diapers- which is AWESOME. I love them, they are great overnight diapers, fit well, and are easy to adjust.

I would recommend replacing the velcro (or convering it to snaps) and maybe try making fitteds out of the prefolds? I did a few and was really happy with them- here's the link I used:
http://www.diapersewing.com/prefold_to_fitted.htm

kind of time consuming but the result was AWESOME.

AS far as detergent goes, what kind did you end up going with? I have a good website I'll have to show you sometime, too!

Amy said...

can't believe how much I saw AWESOME. *blush*

jenny baker said...

we're planning on signing up with a cloth diapering service. every week fresh diapers magically appear! excellent :)

Maria Nichole Ham said...

Okay, now you have me a bit worried with all that talk of ease and simplicity. We're going with cloth too, no service though. I never thought about the laundry aspect before (Lauren:)...I occasionally have laundry troubles so it looks like I'm going to have to get a really good routine down. :)

magda said...

I'm coming a bit late to this post, and I don't sew, but when I noticed that our Bum Genius diapers were losing their "stick," I started rubbing the "hook" side against itself when I put them together again, clean out of the wash. This seems to refresh the velcro's stickiness. By squeezing the tabs in a direction opposite to how they were curling, I seem to have stopped that problem as well. Another thing which helps is pulling out all the extra hair and thread and lint which they collect, although I don't do that after every load. Perhaps the last part is something you can delegate to your older daughter?

Best wishes.