About Me

I'm an Orthodox Christian, and I strive to follow Christ day by day. I'm blessed to be married to Deacon Steve. We have four wonderful kids! I love to create comics, art, sew, write and read. :)

Friday, July 23, 2004

Friday thoughts

Summer Fiction

I'm reading fiction for once-- very rare for me.  I like fiction, but it's really hard to know what's good out there.  Plus, when I actually have time for reading, I try to pick something that will be spiritually edifying.  But, right now I'm reading "She's Come Undone."  I've actually been interested in reading it for a while.  I think it was the "Oprah's Book Club"  that sort of warded me off (I'm not sure why).  At any rate, I found it at the Goodwill for a dollar, and thought I'd chance it (there's something about buying a book that makes you more obligated to read it... besides $1 is probably less than my library fine would be).  It makes for an intriguing summer read, although there are some difficult parts of course.  I hope to finish it by the end of the weekend. 

Summer "Shopping"

Speaking of thrift stores, I'm rediscovering my affinity for thrift-store shopping.  The other day I found several wonderful frames for a great price (which I used with some paintings I made for my godmother's son).  Yesterday I also found a great dress (not a wedding dress), a long skirt and some Born shoes for under $10.  It was fun to scourge Value Village on my own time and not have to worry boring Job (who is actually extremely patient when it comes to shopping). 

Thrift-store shopping has been a hobby of mine since jr. high.  In the 7th grade, I got into dressing eccentrically and raided the local Salvation Army almost every weekend.  As the years progressed, I stopped looking for green polyester pants and granny sweaters, and instead looked for more normal looking clothes.  These past two years I haven't had as much dough to splurge (even on thrift store clothes... how sad! :D), but every now and then a trip to a thrift shop is fun. 

Summer Pounds

I've heard of a pregant woman's husband gaining "sympathy pounds," but I can't help but wonder if I myself have sympathized a little too well with my expectant sister.  Maybe it's just summer, and living at home where the food is plentiful... Or maybe I've accepted too many ramen-noodle lunch dates with Job (who, by the way, can pack down mounds of food into his long and ultra-lean frame... perhaps he's been a bad influence? *smile*).    Or maybe I've just been too inactive these past few months.  

It's not that I've had trouble fitting into my clothes or anything... it's just this little "belly" I've noticed.  Oh well, I'm not too worried.  I knew that the slight physique of my high school days couldn't last forever.  Which is funny, because back in high school, I'm sure I said on numerous occassions "I'm fat."  Hah!     

4 comments:

Job said...

Great post. I love the real world flavor of it. As far as the being patient and being as skinny as a rail I must give thanks to God. He has truly blessed me :) Anyways I loved the post and yes, I don't think eating a lot of meals with me is very helpful for people who are trying not to eat to much (ps. "I just get so hungry").

Xenia Kathryn said...

Hey Job,
Yeah, I realized that lately I've been writing some pretty heavy blogs. I thought it was high time a write something on the lighter side :) I'm glad you liked it, though! I hope others do to.
XK

Unknown said...

Thift stores and church rummage sales truly rock! It's amazing what you can get at these things. Last year at our church rummage sale I walked off with a half roll of bare high grade canvas, unprimed, perfect condition, for something like a dollar. I'm happy to read that I'm not the only one that gets clothes at these places either. Just make sure you've got a good bottle of Febreeze around at home!! Hey, and you mentioned painting in this blog! ;o)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the post as well! Although I know how nice it is to put down all your feelings about the world and people, things that urke or dissapoint you, or just deep thoughts you want to write down in the blog for other people to read. I think I use mine to replace going out to coffee EVERY day with a friend like we did in North Bend...cause there was nothing else to do there! :) Now of course, life is more fast paced and unfortunately we don't have as much time and as many outlets as we used to (it would be cruel for me to tell Ross everything on my mind all the time).

It's nice to be able to hear about your life and thoughts regularly without those cheezy generic update group emails. I hate those things :D I write in my blog almost every day...I look forward to reading more of yours!

-Amy